Surgery for prolapsed bladder and rectum, along with vaginal repair for rectocele in the morning

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everybody!!!

I have been waiting for 5 years to have the damage that happened during the birth of my son to be repaired, and tomorrow is the day. When I was in labor with my son, he got stuck pretty bad in my pelvis and my doctor cut me from front to back (skin, tissue, muscle, everything!) and only stitched back the skin. (I don't know if it's possible to stitch up everything else). anyways, I am having a posterior vaginal repair, rectocele, and prolapsed bladder and rectum. I am only 20 years old. My mom is a nurse and so is my boyfriend's mom and they will be taking care of me. After the surgery, will it be as painful as it was after giving birth or worse? Even with everything that happened during my birth, I really wasn't in pain after. I seem to have a high vaginal pain tolerance but a very low pain tolerance for abdominal cramps. Is there any last minute advice? I have arrangements for my son, I have a ste thing for going to the bathroom after. Anything else I should do to prepare? I am on stool softeners and I have been having the easiest bowel movements since I had my son. Anything else? Thank you all for the support and help!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Chey

Maybe youre in surgery already.  But i wish you the very best of luck, you've had such a raw deal especially for someone so young.  Your'e young and hopefully healing will be quicker, but please please from someone who has had extensive surgery 4 months ago take lots and lots of care after and don't do too much even though you feel you are better, especially [u]LIFTING AND LUGGING AND STANDING ON YOUR FEET TOO MUCH.   [/u]Sorry had to underline the last bit cause believe me the success of your operation will also depend on you.  Oh yes do your pelvic floors, regularly and forever.  I've already encountered problems since my surgery and am waiting to be seen by consultant, but when i look back i now know i was rushing things too soon and probably should not have done certain things, don't feel guilty because you are a mum and feel you should do things.  Take care, thinking of you. 

• Posted

How soon was your first bowel movement? My surgery was yesterday morning and I still haven't had one yet. I am afraid and can't tell if I need to go. When I am in my bed I feel a lot of pressure like I may need to, but then when I go, I pee and feel like nothing else is coming. I have felt like I had a blood clot, I have been able to feel it since I peed the very first time. I just peed after being on my feet a little bit more off and on, and the blood clot is hanging out. I know not to pull it out, but what should I do?
    • Posted

Hi Chey glad your'e past the surgery now the healing.  Firstly i hope some nursing staff are aware of your blood clot.  I did pass a small one through catheter 2 weeks post op.  About bowel movement, i had my op on a Monday and it wasn't til Thursday i had first bowel movement but went home from hospital with a laxative which i continued to use for approx 8 weeks, so if you haven't used any laxatives good to use  at least for awhile.  I think anaesthetic must be one of the causes of why are bodies go out of zinc.  Anyway don't push or strain, drink loads of water throughout the day, also good for flushing things through and a varied diet.  Thinking of you and try to remember you will experiences many phases, but most of all when you start to feel better that it your most tempting time to do too much.  Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Chey good luck today I will be thinking of you and hope it goes well. DO not do to much after I think that's what I did and it's set me back I think sometimes just standing to let long can be a problem, take care let us know how you do

• Posted

Hi chey,

Hope all goes well today. The key thing is rest, rest and more rest. I know that's easier said than done, particularly when you are young but it really is the answer to a successful outcome. I'm 4 weeks post op and when I try to do too much I really feel the pain in my abdomen. They say it can take 6 months to fully recover and I've been told 12 weeks off work. Also long term to never go back to any heavy lifting etc. Good luck with everything and let us know how you are.

• Posted

Hello,  I am sure your procedure will go well.  I found, as difficult as it was , to stay  in Bed for a week.  Only get up every hour to take a three min walk and use the washroom,   No BENDING at all for as long as possible.  This is advice I received from others on this site.  Speedy recovery wished your way.  
  • Posted

Hi Chey317

Hope your surgery went well and wishing you a relaxed recovery and as im sure you have been told often take it easy... very easy :-) x

• Posted

Hi chey

How are you feeling after your surgery? Are you still in hospital?

It took me 8 days until I had a bowel movement. I think the delay & laxatives, suppositories & high fibre diet caused me extra pain. I would recommend eating as many oranges as you can.

• Posted

Oh wow I just had all my oranges thrown away yesterday cause nobody was eating them! I am not in the hospital. It's an outpatient surgery here. I went in at 7 in the morning and left around 1. I told them I wanted to stay but I had a crappy nurse who really made me mad and they kept telling me that I wouldn't like it if I stayed and they didn't have real food because it was an outpatient surgery center and anything they could say to talk me out of it so I left. I thought they would give me some pads or icepacks or cleansing cloths but I got nothing. I love my doctor but I have always hated that raggedy hospital. The staff there is just rude. Well...now that I'm all done with my complaining (sorry), I am feeling better than expected. I had very little pain. I went the day after surgery without pain pills. I do ice it a lot. It makes it feel a lot better. I found 2 gas stations and a Dairy Queen (fast food ice cream place) that has the small chipped ice just like the hospital's ice, so I get 4 large cups a day to fill my ice packs with. I am on stool softeners (Senna-S is what mine are called) I can't sleep very well so I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back to tell me which over the counter sleep medicine to get. I had been pretty good about staying in bed but I rode to the grocery store with my mom yesterday. I rode in the automated wheelchair cart and she did all the lifting and I sat on a pillow. It was nice to get out of the house. My boyfriend's mother wants to take us to lunch or dinner today if I am feeling up to it. I thing the skin/tissue inside of my vagina has been nearly numb since I had my son and I think that's why I am not in as much pain as everyone else. It makes orgasms nearly impossible though so I hope this isn't true. I am really hoping she didn't stitch me all the way up. Before my vagina was very open. My entire vaginal opening was visible and even past that was ope like. Now it seems like I'm stitched shut from my butt to my clitoris! How's that for exxageration? (Sorry bad spelling, I can't figure it out) but it does seem like I'm stitched closed.
  • Posted

Hi Chey,

Hope you're doing well after your surgery. I had a similar experience to you with childbirth which caused my prolapse as I'm missing my right lavata muscle from a terrible episiotomy.

I think the most important advise is to keep your bowels moving and stools soft, so start on those softeners right away. Took 3 enemas before i left hospital because i suffer from IBS. Yep, like having another baby again! LOL

Anyway rest up and recover.. Good luck, sounds like you'll be in good hands!

• Posted

It's now Monday morning and I still haven't had a bowel movement yet. My surgery was Friday morning. I feel pressure almost constantly (when the pain pills wear off). But I have not felt the urge to pee or poop since the surgery. I have even went quite a long time without peeing to see if I feel the urge and I feel nothing. Is this normal? I am so afraid that I lost a lot of feeling 5 years ago during the episiotomy (I had numb tissue they had to remove during the surgery as well) and I am terrified I lost even more feeling because I now have no urge to pee. I have almost quit bleeding. I had a blood clot the night after surgery. I'm also scared that I has to poop a while ago and just can't feel it, so it's just getting bigger and harder and going to hurt really bad. I'm calling today to setup my 1 week check up. Is this stuff normal? I also hadn't been in a lot of pain at all. I went all day Saturday without a pain pill and just iced it on and off and was fine. The pain wasn't bad, I can't sleep through pain/discomfort though so I didn't sleep all day either. I decided to takethe pain
    • Posted

I decided to take the pain pills regularly yesterday so I could get more rest but then I ended up being a lot more active than I should've. I'll probably pay for it today. I had a lot more pressure last night along with sharp pains. When I stand up most of the time, it feels like my vagina is going to fall on the floor. I do feel like it ks getting itchy down there too. Its not like itching on the outside, it's more internal. My mom said that means that it's healing. Hopefully that is true.
    • Posted

Hi chey,

Glad to hear you are doing fairly ok. Just be careful that the itching isn't thrush. Have you been on any antibiotics? I think we've all thought we are able to do more sooner but then the pain, aching and stinging kick in and it's telling you to rest. I know what you mean about the feeling of it falling on the floor. Unfortunately the more I try to do the worse thios feels so I'm trying to rest as much as possible. Hope things continue to improve. Take care

• Posted

I haven't been on any antibiotics, I am going to see if my doctor will give me some. My appointment is Thursday morning. I am laying down a lot but it's been so hard to sleep. I lay around for hours before I finally fall asleep around 2-3 am, then I'm up throughout the night and up by 7. My doctor just told me to try a low dose of Benadryl or an over the counter sleep aid. I most certainly am!
    • Posted

Aww how awful. Hope you get things sorted on Thursday. I've not been sleeping very well either but I put it down to not being so active in the day. You just need to feel comfortable though don't you. I just wish these doctors explained all the pros and cons before surgery so we would know what to expect. I remember on the morning of the surgery I was aksed if I had anymore questions but by then i was just so nervous about going to theatre i wanted to get it over and done with I think my mind was a whirl. I got some information sheets off the hospital but it's all very basic and there seems to be some conflicting advice from one doctor to the next. Thank goodness for this site. Hope things improve, take care.
    • Posted

Yes i got a lot of conflicting information too but I've decided to go with what I am comfortable with and not to push the limits. I am driving just as much as before, which is just running errands and shopping a little. If i am active, like shopping or walking, I rest after and take breaks in between. The hydro codone pain pills i think are what is causing me to not sleep. I quit taking them, I now take ibuprofen as needed instead. I also don't have any caffeine unless its morning, and I don't nap during the day. Still no luck but I bet I will have some luck tonight! I am taking Nyquil to sleep tonight. Tired of laying there in la la land for 4 hours a night. I am on antibiotics now, Cephalexin 500 MG. They cause diarrhea though but it comes out easier than my constipated, hard, bowels that I was having even with 3 stool softeners per day. Are you sleeping any better? And how are you feeling? Did you have rectal prolapse?
    • Posted

Glad things are a bit better for you. I seem to have one night of good sleep and one night of bed. I'm coping as I'm still off work at the moment. I had posterior repair for prolapsed bowel and rectal plication for prolapsed rectum. I'm 5 weeks post op now. I'm struggling with the feelings of stinging achyness underneath. I really thought it would have started to ease and I'm getting a bit frustrated as I feel like things will never be normal again. My BM's are better than they were but I'm still taking stool softeners twice a day. My mind says I want to do things but body is saying otherwise. I just keep hoping that sometime soon it will feel better.
    • Posted

I think part of the reason I'm not in much pain has something to do with my vagina being numb since I gave birth to my son, I was cut a lot when he got stuck and I am convinced a nerve got damaged or something cause I lost a lot of feeling. I felt sex after but really only pressure. Most of the skin inside my vagina was numb or barely had any feeling at all. I could pinch it and not feel a thing. How active are you now though? Do you go do things? I may be wrong but for me, if I don't walk and move these muscles a little bit, I am more sore. I do feel pain and aching if I use those muscles though, like yesterday I was doing a little laundry and flipped a shirt to get the wrinkles out and I felt like I pulled my pelvic floor. I feel a painful feeling in my rectum, very heavy dragging feeling. This is a new feeling. I feel differently every day. First was that post op feeling where you could feel everything was a little sore, then it was barely sore, then I felt painful vaginal muscles that felt like every single last one had been ripped, then that stopped hurting and I have been really good until this rectal ache started but it isn't unbearable.

• Posted

I'm not doing anything too heavy, but I'm trying to do some everyday stuff. I've managed to do a bit of walking, but very soon after I feel like my insides are falling out and feel the need to rest. The stinging doesn't really seem to be easing and the aching abdomen is much worse after walking or doing too much. I just wish i could see an end to it. I so want to get back to normal. I'm still off work at the moment apart from managing to do some paperwork from home but i want to be out and about again.
    • Posted

Yes I definitely understand. I work in a Warehouse and I just don't see myself going back to that. I think i might apply to dental offices here in a few weeks. I feel like I have to poop a lot of the time though. That is probably the most annoying thing. I hope we all get to feeling better before it gets nice out again. Its getting there today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.