Surgery hip replacement

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi again any advice and support as in a previous post I have stated I am having a rt hip replacement on 18th August. In my letter its saying i am having a Gereral Anesthetic any thoughts around this I thought that I would be having an Epidural.......

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Julie,

I had a right reconstruction on 30 Jan (ie a replacement plus bone grafts and extra metal).  I had an epidural and a lighter general anaesthetic, then a morphine patch afterwards. The Op went well, though I reacted badly to the morphine patch (that doesnt mean you will). Take advice from your surgeon, see what he recommends. Generally an epidural means you feel better more quickly and its safer.

Good luck with everything. Everyone is really helpful and kind on here. We have all been where you are, so come back for support any time. I know I was particularly glad of pre my op. Very best wishes xxx

• Posted

Thankyou for your words. Yes i think that site will be very helpful and supportive.
  • Posted

hi julie, 

I noticed that in your previous post ...

you might want to ask about it at your pre-op appointment - that is where I met with the aneshesiologist - I preferred General A over epidural or block because I am chicken and did not want to take a chance on feeling, smelling, hearing what was going on ... I had no side effects except for some drowsiness -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Good morning new friend Julie and old friend Renee!

Julie, glad you liking this place - me and renee both found it very useful and supportive!

So yes, to general anaesthetic or not?

I'm with Renee here, don't want to know and edged into blissful sleep as nurse counted down from 10. no side effects either!

Equally, someone wrote year how much they enjoyed chatting to the surgeon and hearing their choice of music. so while I would be wary of sawing noise, some folk like the awake bit!

Good luck for whatever you decide, and a speedy recovery!

Mic

x

Exeter, Devon

• Posted

Thank you yes funding this site very supportive. I don't like the idea of noises and chatting scare me to death. just want to wake and know it's all done...... decisions.....julie

• Posted

I had a GA by choice, as there was no premed there were no unpleasant side effects. I had the op at 9 .30, woke up in recovery at around 11.30, and was served lunch at 12.30 after my return to the ward
  • Posted

Are u in the U.K. ? Most surgeons do the epidural as much better . Had one last October far better just like going to sleep without that tube down your throat.. push for epidural
  • Posted

Hi Julie

I had an epidural for my THR, plus sedation. The sedative they used (I'm in the UK) was some sort of magic stuff that completely erased any memory of the op so from my point of view it was just as good as a GA, and the recovery is apparently much quicker, no nausea etc because they don't have to intubate you. It's also safer. I was worried beforehand about hearing, feeling, smelling or remembering things from the op, but honestly I could  recall absolutely nothing when I woke up in the recovery room. I'm having my second replacement this autumn and will be happy to have an epidural plus sedation again. I'd suggest you discuss it with your surgeon/anaesthetist and ask why they want you to have a GA if you're worried.

All the best with your op,

sjhips

• Posted

I had anterior RTHR yesterday. He advised an epidural. I was nervous because I had one 9 years ago for a c-section and I hated that needle in my back. He said I could GA if I wanted but it seemed recovery would be better with epidural and sedative so that's what I did. It does feel uncomfortable to get the shot but I was totally numb. They moved me to the table gave me the sedative and 3 hours later I was in recovery. No nausea or itchy aftermath. It was lights out and over before I knew it. I'm staying a second night in hospital and will hopefully go home tomorrow midday. I'm very tender and stiff but taking the meds every 4 hours so it's not so bad. 

Good luck! 

Nikki

• Posted

So pleased it went well. I am such a baby thinking about an Epidural as I envisage seeing everything going on around me however from what i have read and the fantastic comments there is no nasty after effects... well soreness. Like you said just the pain of the injection. Home in 2 day brilliant. Speedy recovery and thank you. Julie
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I had spinal block with sedation. I was more nervous about noise & smells than the op itself! Anyway, they had to wake me up half way through due to slight low blood pressure. I joked with the anaesthesiologist that he had done it on purpose as I could hear all sorts of noises BUT it wasn't scary at all! It felt quite surreal, almost like the op was going on at the other end of the room! I stayed awake then & when it was all over, I even asked the surgeon but I could see the nasty femoral head (the ball) that had caused me so much pain!

Don't be scared, it's the not knowing that makes you anxious but you'll be fine x

• Posted

Aww thank you, sorry that made me chuckle fancy having to wake you up. As long as you didn't feel anything. Hope the recovery was speedy. Julie

• Posted

I had a great recovery. Don't forget to do your exercises & lots of positivity x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.