Surgery, How long Recovery Will I Walk ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, 

Here are my MRI results on my left knee, I have not seen the Ortho yet till 8/14

What will they operate on, will I walk normal again? Recovery time? Any help would be Great.

*Torn medial Meniscus posterior horn, root intact. lateral is normal.

*partial thickness tear of 20 or 30% of ACL fibers

* Edema around Medial ligament

*Fibular Collateral Ligament 50% tear (i think this is LCL)

Thats it, Thank you!

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I'm recovering from a partial knee replacement but had a torn meniscus about 2 years ago. My OS went in and  did arthroscopic surgery with 3 small incisions in my knee to clean up the tear. I was on crutches and it took about 3-4 weeks to recover, if I remember correctly. Not a painless surgery, but not terrible like a knee replacment. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! 

Good info, thank you. I wonder if they will do anything with ACL or leave it alone since 20-30%...The LCL to at 50% .....I read the medial Meniscus posterior hornis only a 10% succes rate, but what do I know. HA!

• Posted

I can say this. I was getting shots for arthritis in my knee before the meniscus repair and my OS told me that sometimes after meniscus repair, the shots no longer work for the arthritis. Guess what? They no longer worked. Hard for me to understand how fixing one thing can cause something not to work. But, I'm not a doctor. Ask lots  of questions. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear that, I will ask questions, as much as I can, hopefully the DR gives me some time to ask.
  • Posted

Basically, you've torn the crap out of your knee.  They'll go in, trim off what damage they can and stitch everything else back up.  It's the second part that's tricky.  When there's a "tear", you can't just sew the ends back together because the "tearing" has stretched out the ligaments to where the ends are like tissue paper...can't stitch that.  If it's not too bad, they will sew good, strong tissue together on each side.  If not, they may overlay a "patch" and stitch that to good, strong tissue on both sides.  All depends on what they find going in.  I'm sure you will be looking at some time of non-weight-bearing recovery time followed by a lot of PT.  Be ready for a lengthy recovery.  You CANNOT push this...it will be slow and steady for a long while.  

• Posted

Hi Halo - In 2012, I torn the medial meniscus of the posterior horn in my left knee. I had arthroscopic surgery, went to PT and within a month I was walking fine. In 2013, I fell and and I torn the medial meniscus in my right knee. After having cortisone injections, the doctor recommended arthroscopic. I had the surgery, but I always had pain afterwards. Even after finishing my PT. I had gel injections guided by fluoroscope. The injections did not work. My knee continued to be very painful that I had to walk with a cane. Last year the doctor told me that I needed a knee replacement because my knee was rubbing bone on bone due to arthritis. I developed arthritis after the surgery. After giving it a lot of thought, I had the TKR last October 2016.  It has been 10 months that I had the TKR. To date, I still have pain because I cannot bend my knee to 120.  I developed adhesions. I have been excersing every day since the after surgery. People heal differently and even your knees heal differently. I am praying that  by continuing with exercise my knee will be pain free and will reach 120 on the bending.  Yes, you will walk normal again -- I do But you need to really work with your knee. Your doctor will guide you and always follow their advice. Good luck with your upcoming appointment and if you have to have surgery. Keep us posted. Don't hesitate to ask for advice. Take care. J-21370.

• Posted

How high is the sky.

How many fish in the sea.

No absolute answers to anything when it comes to rehab.

If it's a full ACL you will be down for a while and again that's dependent on what kind of activity level you try and reach. For example, an athlete with ACL surgery will be out of action for a year before they will be back to full speed and able to compete. Someone who needs to be on their feet for their job might be out a few weeks or up to a few months but a person with a desk job will be back in 6 to 8 weeks. Rebuildind an entire knee is just a matter of time depending on the individual, therapy, lack of complications and an assortment of other things. Whatever the issues its the same roadmap......rehabilitation, rest and the body cooperating. The main thing is learning patience. Outside of saying you aren't going to work at recovery is to say I'm in charge and ill do what I please. If the therapist says: 3 lbs of weight, 10 reps and a set of 3 that's exactly the formula. Saying I feel so good I'm going to used 5# of weight, do 20 reps and a set of 5 is a sure way to slow down recovery or worse, be back under the knife. I've been through 11 surgeries including 5 complete rehab. Everyone is different but you will heal and be back to normal, albeit possibly a new normal. Stay with this group. Good people that have been through it and will offer timely, honest advice, opinions and techniques.

• Posted

LISTEN TO HIM!!!!!!

Actually, with all the levels of the atmosphere added together, the "sky" is about 60 miles high.  Just sayin'...

• Posted

Still waiting for the answer to the fish question. An est will suffice but should be broken down by species.
    • Posted

I can only respond with the song title from The Marvelettes, 1964, Atlantic Records:

"There's Too Many Fish In The Sea"

• Posted

Thanks Everyone for the replys, Crap sounds like a long rode ahead of me, It's already been 2 months on crutches and Im barely going to see the Ortho. Sucks!

• Posted

"Sucks" is just a micro-view of your situation.  Think bigger.  When it's over, you'll have your life back.  Worth it?  Was for me...

• Posted

Vision and patience are the keys. The vision to see the final results and the patience to let/make it happen.

Chico, you still haven't agreed to take that kidney stone you wished for. I've got 2, one in each kidney. So far I've had a lithrotripsy and surgical process with no positive results except to be torn up. Next Thursday the urologist goes back in with a different piece of equipment at a different location and goes at it again. After the lithotripsy they gave me a funnel with a piece of mesh in the bottom and every time I per I use it. I now know the frustrations of the early gold miners who tried to pan for gold and continually came up to nothing.

The stone is yours for the asking if you'll just pay the postage.

• Posted

I'm about due...it's been 5 years.  Two passed, one done with lithotripsy but the last one needed a "basket retrieval".  DON'T EVEN ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'd rather "eat the gun"...

• Posted

Just a update after my Ortho visit, 

Dr told me to come back in a month to get surgery schedeuled were waiting on insurance to approve it. so 9/11 is my next visit. 

Dr said he will do a arthroscopy and meniscectomy, said when he goes in he will look at the ACL but no plans to touch it, The LCL he said he will determine that when he goes in, Basically just said when he does the meniscectomy of the meniscus he will determine if anything else needs to be done.

Thanks Everyone! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.