Surgery or not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so 2 weeks ago I had my first diverticulitis flare that ruptured. However it became an encapsulated abcess. It was about 2 to 3 cm in size. There was talk of a drain or surgery with one doctor after I was admitted and the next day a different surgeon said you look good I think with antibiotics it should resolve itself. Fast forward to today and I saw the first surgeon for a follow up. I'm doing well, feel good eating what I want which has always been healthy. She is suggesting a resection through the laparoscope down the road in 6 to 8 months. I would like to hear your experiences with this and what you think. I plan to get more than one opinion also.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Definitely get another opinion and look for one that has a conservative approach.

I have had many flare ups but no abscesses so I usually go on antibiotics if it is very bad. I do watch skins,seeds, nuts and hard to digest foods.

Good luck!

• Posted

Are you USA or UK based?  The USA policy seems to be chop at the first serious flare, just in case it happens again.  The UK is far more conservative with surgery only for emergencies or cases that do not respond to medication, there is no elective option.  So far you sound as though you are responding.  I think you are doing the right thing in seeking other opinions.  Surgery itself can sometimes cause other problems like a hernia or adhesions, so you swap one problem for another.  I personally would only consider surgery if my quality of life was compromised by constant pain, flares etc.  Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks for your info. I think I've had flares before but I just ignored them and they went away. But this time with a rupture turning into a encapsulated abscess I'm wondering about recurring problems. Lol I was eating good food the next day while still in hospital.

• Posted

Also my main concern is another much more serious perforation and /or abscess
  • Posted

I hate that the doctors let you eat what you want while having a flare up. I was in horrible pain and they didn't restrict my diet. Just gave me antibiotics two at a time and IV potassium and magnesium. They gave me pain pills for it. They didn't help much I should have stuck to liquids. I know better now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.