Surgery the big decision

Posted , 16 users are following.

After arthroscopy following twisting my knee and suspecting a torn meniscus I was told I needed TKR what a shock that came as ! 

I am 62 years of age 13st 8 lbs ( don't do all that modern metric stuff sorry ) I cycle around 100 miles a week, can run up the stairs no problem apart from a bit of a stinging sensation on thre outer part of my knee just aware of it more than painful 

The surgeon gave the knee a rating of 3 whatever that means ?

So to surgery or not, I am of a mind that why go through major surgery with all the possible implications of good/bad outcomes when I am mobile and in little pain if any at all?

The great unknown to me is the speed at which it may deteriorate, weeks months years I have no idea?

I am sole carer for my disabled Mother so surgery would impact on us both 

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss if to proceed or not 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think you take surgeons advice mine just told me to come back when I was ready and it was only six months later then I wished I gone back sooner as it was so bad pre op it took longer to recover post op. You won't be off your feet too long but will need help so start planning early just in case.
  • Posted

Hi Dave, I would possibly get a 2 nd opinion, otherwise if you are still mobile & relatively pain free  I would wait.  You will be out of action for some time after surgery.  The fact that you are so active is a big plus.
  • Posted

Wow such a very big thank you to all the replies to my post, so nice to know so many people are willing to take the time and effort to reply with so informative replies.

I have made an appointment with my surgeon for 6 months hence with a view to injections rather than surgery  should I be experiencing pain at that time, as I simply cannot be incapacitated until the Granny Flat extension is complete with Granny settled within it. bless her.

I cycled 30 miles this morning with around 1000ft of elevation and the knee feels better for it, however weird that may sound ?

I appreciate the view sooner than later, but am going with the leave it till it becomes a mobility/pain problem for the above reasons plus been a fully signed up member to the Coward Party ! 

Again thank you to all for the amazing and very welcomed replies I wish you all the very best for the future

Best Regards

Dave   

• Posted

Hi Dave, I write from Montana in the US.  I didn't come into this with the injury you had - mine was from a fall from a stepladder a long time ago. But I can speak to the process.  It's your knee.  You only have two of them. Honker down and do the research - research your problem online and look at all alternatives, then go to different orthopedists to talk to them about it.  In the US many will talk to you on the phone if you simply have your x-ray/scan's sent from your doctors office and you ask them to call you.   I talked to a total of  9 physicians before I scheduled a procedure...party because Montana is rural and many procedures aren't available here. We only have total knee replacements - no one here does other procedures.   I ended up doing a partial knee resurfacing procedure called Makoplasty, and am 2 weeks post operation.    Mako can correct two compartments at most, a total knee corrects all three. Mako is much less drastic - but requires that your ACL and PCL are intact.  You also need the side ligaments to be intact as well.   Find out exactly what a "rating of 3" means, I could find no information online that collaborates with this number: http://www.drrmarx.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/dr-marx-2015/articles/knee/meniscus-injuries/01021900.Knee-Rating-Scales-for-Clinical-Outcome.pdf  ; So call the doctors office and have someone explain it to your satisfaction.  When you go in to your doctor take notes - you won't remember everything they say, or take someone with you and let them take notes.  The sensation on your outer knee may be the lateral compartment - you need to ask for more information.  Ask why he wants to do a Total Knee, then find a practicionner who does Makoplasty and ask them to evaluate your xray as well.  If you qualify for Mako you may want to consider it - far less invasive. Far less debilitating during recovery.   If the doctor told you it would degenerate I can speak to that some - I, too, was told it would just "suddenly fall apart" in a matter of months. And indeed it does.  And when it does your life becomes a nightmare because it really doesn't work, hurts like all get out and scheduling surgery takes months and months of planning.   Don't wait to schedule it until it falls apart - it's the one thing all the people I know agree on, they all waited too long.  But do check with another doctor, or doctors.  It's your leg. 
    • Posted

I'm surprised.......I though you guys in that rugged Big Sky country just went to the hardware /farm and home supply stores and picked up the supplies you needed then went out to the barn and did it yourself. Guess my old high school class mate has been pulling my leg all these years. She always told me being from Kansas was just a warm up for real outdoor living. I got a little taste of it when visiting my son while he attended university of Wyoming in the late 70's / early 80's
  • Posted

I think that's very wise Dave..hope the granny flat is ready soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.