surgery tomorrow, I have a few questions about the day/recovery

Posted , 7 users are following.

So unless hospital cancels again I'm having my gallbladder out tomorrow. I have a few questions some probably quite silly!

1. Can you wear deodorant on the day and brush teeth in the morning?

2. Can you wear underwear during the surgery (obviously not bra!)

3. How will I feel when I wake? Eg could you breathe ok did you have oxygen on you, did you feel dizzy/drunk (I have anxiety so want to prepare myself for what's normal so I don't panic)

4. How long after you woke did you go home? How did you feel going home still groggy? Sick in pain?

5. What painkillers did you take? I was told I wont be provided with any painkillers to take home and to just buy paracetamol and ibuprofen! I do have some tramadol left at home and codydramol but have read its not good to take codeine after gallbladder removal as it can cause the same pain as a gallbladder attack.

6. Did you get any sleep that night how did you get comfortable?

7. When did you feel able to walk to the shops and go on a train journey. (I would like to go to an open day for a school where we are moving too but it is a 2.5 hr train journey,I would stay at my mils house this is 6 days after operation?

Thankyou sorry so many questions I'm so nervous.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, Yourll be fine. Not tooo long to wait hopefully. It wont be long now and that thing will be out and you can start getting back to a normal life. Thinking of you x
  • Posted

Hello all, what an eventful day. I didn't have the pre med straight away. But had some in theatre don't even remember been put to sleep.

Unfortunately during the operation I had a bile leak so needed wash out and antibiotics.also heart rate bit fast for a while.

Probably staying in tonight. So sleepy still keep drifting off. Will post more when I more with it x

• Posted

Ive been thinking of you today kept checking to see if youd posted. I hope you feel better soon xxxxx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, So glad its all over for you. Ive been thinking about you all day and wondering how it went. Take it easy and get plenty of rest smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much jane and Hannah.

I'm home now feeling very tired still keep nodding off in bed. Also very tender in abdomen and stitch like pain where gallbladder was. Also burning type pain in top incision below sternum. But managing in ibuprofen and paracetamol though was given dihydcodeine if I need it also have tramadol somewhere. I'm on antibiotic due to fje bile leak

• Posted

Posted to soon, I was sick after op and it was green bile horrible. Feeling a bit nauseous but ok not really sure what to eat am not very hungry.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, You wont feel like eating much. Keep to very light stuff, and soft things. Scrambled egg was good i found but i  could only mange a few spoonfuls for the first few days. Keep on very low fat too. Porridge is good and i lived on that for the first few weeks. Drink plenty too and I would avoid anything too acidic at the moment. Sounds like your going the right way. Just rest and sleep lots wink keep in touchx
    • Posted

Mmm scrambled egg on toast would hit the spot.

Also have shoulder pain from the gas and pain in upper back too not sure if that's normal.

• Posted

So sorry  I missed this. Yes that is all normal and will take a few days to settle down. I found it came and went during the day but gradually eased off.
  • Posted

Aw im glad youre home sounds like you had a bit of a rough ride. I had the stitch pain too it went quite quickly. Make sure you rest up. My belly button is still bit sore but the gas is settling down. I have stuck to toast mainly but i was adventerous today i had a curly wurly i couldnt help myself.

I really hope you start feeling better soon big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, How is it going ? Hope your doing ok smile
    • Posted

Thanks for Asking Jane. I'm ok still feeling tender when I get up from sittong downhave changed two of my dressings as they were slightly bloody. Have had a headache mist of the day too. I cant remember what they said about the dressings and when I can remove them.

I can stand up a bit straighter but it still hurts a bit mainly where gallbladder was and a bit lower no pain I belly button though.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I had a headache a week or so after the op  and mine was triggered by bile but a lot of people can get headaches after the anesthetic so  hopefully you will find it eases off. Just make sure you drink plenty of water.I was told to leave my dressings for ten days if not oozing a lot. The less you can take them off the better really but obvously if they are really bad then best to change them. I was told no bath for ten days but showers after 2 days but I actually taped a big plastic bag over my whole tummy and took a shower  day two and kept all the dressings dry even though they are waterproof to a certain extent. smile

You will be sore for a while straightening up although I didnt suffer too much with that side of things. It all sounds like its going ok for you . Just take it easy x

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I have just found this forum after googling recovery from gallbladder op! I am having the op this Thursday!!! Beginning to feel nervous. And the frustrating thing is that after months and months of horrendous pain 2 or 3 times a week , I have been pain free for 8 wks! In the back of my mind keep thinking 'do I need it' ! But then my hubbie reminds me of the flare ups!

Any advice for Thursday??

• Posted

Morning smile

have the op honestly! Most people have seen my posts about how terrified i was and i was in alot of pain having 2-3 flare ups a day.

Its a very routine operation and compared to what pain i was in it was a walk in the park. Im 7 days post op now and getting my staples out in 4 hours! smile

best piece of advice is keep moving about afterwards if you have stairs climb them it really helps with the gas. But do not try doing too much.

Take the painkillers you need i tried to be a hero but i ended up taking my codine regular and i feel so much better.

Peppermint tea has been my saviour get stocked up smile

I had some pain in my belly button area for a couple of days but thats waring off now.

Good luck and honestly you will feel so much better smile let us know how it went

hannah xxx

• Posted

Thank you smile nervous but like you say it should be a walk in the park compared to the pain! Glad you at feeling better smile
    • Posted

Yes Hannah summed it up. I was so scared as well. But the surgery was fine and I'm now day 5 and I haven't needed any codeine only had paracetamol and ibuprofen but today I haven't taken anything.

Not sure if it's related to the surgery but I've been feeling feeling hot in my face all day but temp is normal. Still got a bit of headache too, feels a bit like sinus pressure so may be unrelated. Compared to the pain of gallstones the op is nothing! I was so worried to leave them in case of pancreatitis or worse so I'm glad they're are gone. I'm going to the toilet normally no diarrhea, I've eaten chocolate, curry, ice cream with no issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.