Surgey isn't always needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with gallstones last week after having an ultrasound. One 2cm stone was found and a smaller one. I have now been referred to a surgeon but my friend was also diagnosed on xmas and because she has bigger stones, she doesn't need surgery. Apparently, if she had the small gritty ones, surgery would be needed. I'm now hoping maybe I can get away with it too. Anyone else been told they don't need an op??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey.

I too have a gallstone, it either formed from all the sludge or came after the surge cleared. My doctor has left gallbladder removal entirely up to me which makes me feel like I have been cast adrift.

I am not aware of the fact that small stones need gallbladder removal as opposed to big ones. you both need to keep the size of the stone down to a minimum as your GB will eventually stop working if it has to squeeze a large stone as well and that is painful believe me. Mine is 13 mm.

Drink plenty of apple juice not from concentrate, Lidl do a non concentrate one, drink some apple vier vinegar and keep the fat content down but eat good quality fats like flax seed oil (eat cold, never heated) and avocados.

Look up sites for gallbladder as this will help.

good luck

• Posted

Hi Tracey

They think I had a small gallstone that passed so I still have my gallbladder, but they think it caused another condition called sphincter oddi dysfunction which is like gallbladder pain.The problem with very small stones is they can get stuck in bile duct .

• Posted

I'm just worried, if I'm told I don't need it that it could lead to pancreatitis. Another friend of mine almost died with that due to gallstones. I've already had one gallstone stuck in the bile duct two weeks ago and went jaundice. My liver enzymes were 600 instead of the normal 41
  • Posted

Its wrong they should make the decision, my sister in law had stone stuck in bile duct which they removed via endoscopy but they have advised her to have GB out in case it happens again in the future.
  • Posted

The information we are given or not as in my case, is so confusing, I give up!!!

• Posted

A lot of doctors contradict themselves too. You end up not knowing who the hell to believe and trust!
  • Posted

absolutely Tracey, my doctor has decided to let my decision for surgery up to me!!

• Posted

Tell me about it, I have lost faith in them and don't know what to believe anymore, they just make me anxious now.
  • Posted

hi Tracey

I had at least six large stones in my gallbladder when I was diagnosed with gallstones. I was really poorly at the time and was put on the urgent surgery list. I was told by my surgeon that had I not been ill i.e. vomiting up everything I tried to eat and in excruciating pain then I probably would not have had to have my gallbladder out. It seems to me that if the gallstones aren't causing you any pain and discomfort then they take the decision to watch and wait with patients. I certainly couldn't have gone on much longer the way i was. hope this info has been of some help to you Tracey and that you are seen to quickly if they do want to operate. take care. anne.

• Posted

I have an underactive thyroid and was over medicated to 200 mg daily, my doc is taking me down and I am currently on 100 mg. she is sending me for blood tests again and I suppose is hoping to take it down again because Levothyroxine gives you........gallstones!!!!!!

and it also gives you non alcoholic fatty liver..which I have.

I also have acute diverticulitis so if I have my GB out my fear is that all that acid will drip out of my liver and onto my colon and then I get colon cancer.

If I eat stuff which helps diverticulitis it causes me to have biliary colic, I'm between a rock and a gallstone.

I have been drinking apple juice with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and some relief is brought about.

I wonder how far my GP will reduce my Levothyroxine. I wonder if I have a case for compensation!!

• Posted

Hi designergirl

I also have diverticulosis and oesphagitis and I am having the same problems.I was told that the biliary colic pain is sphincter of oddi dysfunction and I have always thought it is caused by diverticulosis. I find it extremely difficult trying to eat normally, as like you foods for one thing affect the other. I also take an acid suppressant and I find this also gives me the Sphincter oddi pain ( biliy colic). Were you told that the divertivulosis caused this. I have had a nightmare with consultants they don't seem to believe me about the pain

• Posted

Hi Jane I don't have oesphagitis, just the Saint's Triad, Underactive Thyroid, which caused gallstones which causes Diverticulosis.

I know my mother went down this path and the end was tragic.

• Posted

I have been on levothyroxine since i was 21. Im 38 now! I didn't know it could cause problems???

Anne, it's certainly good to know that you were also told large stones don't necessarily need surgery. I'm sorry you had such a rough a time though :-(

• Posted

Looking back now I might have had gallstones for a lot longer than I thought!

I know that gallstones can slow your liver down in releasing bile bit and you can develop stones in the liver.

I went on Levo at the age of 56 when my periods stopped. They say oestrogen can cause underative thyroid,

God it's like a jigsaw isn't it?

• Posted

Hi Designergirl

By the time I had my scan there was no evidence of gallstones so they think I may have passed one . I just get this sphincter of oddi pain which is like gallbladder pain.

I'm interested though if you were actually told that the diverticulosis causes biliry colic as I have been told very little about diverticulosis only that it is in the multiples and has moderately narrowed my bowel.

I am so fed up seeing consultants who don't seem to listen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.