Surprised by Diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the emergency room for what I thought was gallstones or gallbladder issues and to mine and,my husband's surprise I was told I had a severe hiatal hernia and the start of a twist. I went straight to surgery and stayed in the hospital for three days. I am still amazed this was my problem since I had none of the typical symptoms heartburn, gerd etc. The recovery is going ok. I do get diarrhea more often now and some foods make,nauseous and still a little pain off and on. I am 7 weeks post op tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone else had this issue without all if the typical symptoms.

Jennifer

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer, I have been having what seems like gallbladder problems for months but doctors keep telling me gallbladder fine. I know I have a small hiatus hernia but they keep saying it's only minimal. My symptoms are pain under right rib that goes into side and back and also pain in centre of upper abdo and sometimes breathless. I find it impossible to wear a bra or anything in the slightest bit tight around chest as I feel like my insides are being suffocated. I do burp a lot but although I did have acid reflux ph manometry  proves that has gone. Is any of this how you felt.

im glad you are on the mend now. How long had you been suffering and are you eating normal foods again yet x

• Posted

hi Nicola

I was diagnosed with GERD and Barretts and after several months on PPIs, H2 blockers and other meds I was taken off them (later endoscopy showed brretts was minimal) I now do get the pain in chest (feeling of trapped wind) burp a lot and regugitate acid sometimes ..etc etc

​But I suffer the same as you regarding wearing a bra....on bad days i cant wear 1 at all...due to pain around the ribcage and all days I have to remove it after a day at work ...it's worse when I am not sitting upright..driving a car is unsitting in a car seat is uncomfortable  i just put it down to building muscle due to upper body work out with weights....but since I have lost weight the bra situation hasnt really resolved. I have never thought GERD would be the reason for this.

​I never thought of mentioning this to visits to the gastroenerologist ..have you ?  

• Posted

Hi,

Ive mentioned it to 2 GI's in the past but both disregarded it, im seeing a new one today so going to push the question as im 46 years old and dont think its right not being able to wear a bra, particularly at this time of year when tops are thin and see through.

I cant work out whether my problem is hiatus hernia or gallbladder as i get pain in both areas.

I'll let you know how i get on later x

• Posted

I was having issues with filling up quickly and nausea with certain foods. I think I have had more signs of reflux since the surgery coughing chest discomfort heart palpitations etc. I do eat ok but have not tried red meat pasta rice soda . I had the 360 nissen fundoplication 7 weeks ago and was told total recovery could be 6 months to a year. I can relate to the pain under ribs and breathlessness and feeling scrunched up especially driving. What are your plans to pusue your problems.

Jennifer

• Posted

Well im back from latest appointment with GI and am banging my head against a brick wall. She said that because all tests have come back clear that it must be muscular skeletal and that i should try anti-depressants. Really feel fed up. Why is it if they cant find the answer they think its in your head. As far as not being able to wear a bra she more or less told me to find different tops so it doesnt show.

Ive always been dead set against anti-depressents but dont think ive got any other choice at the moment. Will let you know if they help

• Posted

Have you had a hiatal scan for your gallbladder? I was told before my surgery I had gallstones but not enough to make me feel as sick as I did. I took effector (hope spelled right) years,ago for anxiety and when it came time to get off it, it was rough. Just look at all the options before you take this step.

Jennifer

• Posted

Sorry I meant a hida scan for your gallbladder?

• Posted

sorry to hear that Nicola. I was prescibed anti depressnts by ENT for possible migraine. I didnt take them after 5 days (experinced total brain fog, ended up having a fender bender with a car park kerb post about 10 inches tall.) 

​I have resorted to wearing loose long baggy tops when i cant wear a bra (about 2 sizes too big for me) but that surely cant be a permanent solution as suggested by your GI

• Posted

Ive been taking the anti-depressents for  4 days now and feel really drowsy. Havent dared drive at all and hardly gone out. Going to see my GP tomorrow to see if i can have a lower dose and see if that helps. I just feel at the end of my tether as GI has signed me off so if this doesnt work who do i turn to next. I know i am stressed about my pain but still think theres an under-lying problem that theyve missed. Do you know if you've got a hiatus hernia because i think thats the main problem. When i told the doctor i felt like my insides were been strangled she just said thats a perception, in other words she couldnt care less, like 90% of doctors x
    • Posted

With my hiatal hernia I did feel like my insides were being sqeezed. They found mine threw a CT scan and x ray in the emergency room and I did have a lot of pressure around rib cage. Just wanted to let you know, so you know what you feel is real and,legit.

Jennifer

• Posted

Thank you,. Do you know what size yours was as they keep saying mine is only minimal whatever that is supposed to mean x
    • Posted

No but I do know it was large enough for my stomach to start pushing through and,required a full 360 nissen operation to fix it. The funny thing is I never had heartburn or anything but now I get it very midly on occassion. I have,read all the horror stories,about the surgery but I guess you need to look at all your options. I would keep pushing the issue this is your health and you have to live with it. I also see a difference in doctors I live in the U.S. and had mine done at a military hospital.
    • Posted

Im definately going to keep pushing it as im not happy with how im being fobbed off. I think the doctors here in England are rubbish and just want to get you out the door, you're lucky having doctors that care, ive heard the military ones are the best. Thank you for your help, i really hope you carry on recovering and get back to a normal life if at all possible really soon x
    • Posted

After 1st endoscopy I asked GI if i had hiatus hernia (both my children were born with it and 1 had surgery as a toddler to fix it). The GI said I did not have hernia but had GERD and Barretts esophagus; however recent research has shown that the hernia doesnt always show if patient is under general anaesthetic.  When I go for my follow  up endoscopy I will talk to him bout this . I currently live in the Middle  East and good healthcare is private so the Drs are only too willing to make money from the health  insurance companies by giving you all sorts of tests (which sometimes may not be needed)

​Keep pushing until someone listens to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.