Suspected gallbladder issues-constant discomfort now

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

About three weeks ago I endured an evening of intense pain...but in the morning it was gone. Unfortunately the next night it returned with vigour and I felt sick with the pain. The next day I went to the doctor and he thought I had "common old rib pain" and I was sent away with cocodamol and naproxen. I haven't had it every night, but at least 7/8 times since and nothing touched  the pain! 

I became convinced i had I had gallbladder issues, and the other night I had my worst attack yet and I vomited a few times. The doctor agrees...he felt my tummy and it was tender in the gallbladder area. He has referred me for an US scan but I am just waiting to hear about that. The next day I had intense pain during the day and I went to urgent care centre and was given Tramdol...which is the only thing that seems to have helped...but it knocks me out.

The thing that is worrying me now is that I have constant discomfort...not pain...more like a stitch...in my tummy and back. If I palpate my tummy it hurts a little. I am not sure what this is and if it is anything to worry about? 

if anyone can offer me any advice I would be very grateful. I am just so worried at the moment.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Keniki, it does sound like gall stones I had the same sort of pain before I had my gall bladder removed but before the op I had an MRI scan and it showed stones in my Bile Duct as well so if they tell you nothing showed up on your scan ask about your bile duct love xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. Did you have a constant discomfort?

I was just having attacks...but now I feel like I have a constant stitch.

• Posted

Yes I did very uncomfy feeling and having really bad pains every time I ate anything but that was towards the end before my op I just couldn't stand it anymore but as Ace says if you dont need the op then dont have it!! I am three years post op and I have an illness left over from the op called BAM Bile Salt Malabsorption only 10% of people who have their gall bladder removed suffer from it. Ask your Doctor about it I dont want to frighten anyone but nobody warned me that this can happen. xxx   
  • Posted

Keniki sounds like gallstones. I had the op 6 months ago and have been Going through hell ever since. If you can try the alternative route first. Try eve
  • Posted

sorry seem to be having problems trying to reply. Try and drink as much Apple juice as you can as it softens the stones and helps to dissolve them. Also Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon 3 times a day in hot water. Finally
  • Posted

don't know what keeps happening but anyway very important you detox your liver as That's were the problem is coming from. Try milk thistle (drops preferably) as this is a great liver and gallbladder detox. One of the main causes of gallbladder problems is high estrogen levels. The liver is unable to handle the excess estrogen and the bile becomes thicker and more sluggish causing stones and or disease in the gallbladder. The milk thistle detoxes the liver and gallbladder and also gets rid of any excess estrogen too. It also helps balance the hormones and is good for reflux and heartburn. Take care xx
    • Posted

There are three excellent replies, thank you! Will add Apple juice etc to my now very limited diet plan.

Sorry to,ask the same question...but I am worried that there is a constant discomfort now...not pain...same level and sensation as a stitch under my rib cage...is this normal?

• Posted

Yes that's what happened to me. Was worse in the morning and at night but was always there. Mine was a burning pain too under my rib Cage and out the back. Also if you are on any antacids or ppi drugs stop them as They actually aggravate the gallstones. I didn't know any of this before the op and can tell you I wouldn't have had it done had I known the side effects. Try everything you can but most importantly detox you liver with the milk thistle. Xx
    • Posted

No stopped those drugs early on...I am only taking Tramadol or paracetamol.  Apprently I can carry on with the Naproxen but I didn't find it helped at all so I am not.  The Tramadol seems to help a little if taken as soon as I am in pain...but makes me woozy.
    • Posted

I couldn't tolerate tramadol at all. They made me sick. Do as much research as you can. Some people do liver cleanses with olive oil and lemon juice and find them great for getting rid of the stones. I was afraid to try them but wish I had of now. I had 1 large stone and my surgeon said it was better to take out the gallbladder as I could have problems with the stone. My gallbladder wasn't diseased it was perfect. Unfortunately a lot of people have the gallbladder removed due to stones even when the gallbladder isn't inflamed. The theory is that once you have stones they will keep coming back. Unfortunately they are not looking at treating the cause of gallbladder problems but just opt for the quick fix which is to removed the organ. My surgeon did tell me it was linked to high estrogen levels. Try everything you can as this surgery should really only be a last resort. Xx
  • Posted

I get exactly what you describe, I am having my gallbladder out in four weeks and can't wait to have it done, I have been warned however that the are not sure all this discomfort that I constantly have is connected. But I amconvinced it is. I do know however that if I keep my meals small and as fat free as possible it eases right off and I can at least get some sleep,  but it only takes a small slip up in my diet to set it off again and it can take days to ease it off again. I guess I will find out in four weeks if it's. Connected :-) 
    • Posted

Let me know please when you know.  I have no appetite at the moment but I am eating small meals cos I need to.  Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

hi keniki

sounds like gallstones to me,an ultra scan should show if you have gall stones.go on a lowfat diet this should help with the pain,I know how you feel the pain goes and then returns.I had my first attack last feb and was laid up by the pain,I am on the list to have my gall bladder removed even though the 2 doctors I saw feel my pain is coming from somewhere else.you will find this site very helpful.i do hope they see you soon ,it can be a wait game all the best

Pat

• Posted

Could be gallstones, the scan may show them up.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Sarah xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up