suspected gallstones

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had severe abdominal pain 2 weeks ago and was informed that I had suspected gallstones and was given a painkilling injection and medication. I am going for a scan tomorrow. But I am concerned that I feel dreadfull and have done so since tthe episode  i have a constant blunt pain with occasional stabbing pain and feel extremely tired. Is this normal ?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't really know if it is normal or not. I can advise you to get checked ASAP. If you have gallstones and go to passing them you will wish you had. Passing stones is one horribly painful episode! Jerk that thing out sooner better than later!!!

Good Luck,

Keith

• Posted

thanks bull i'm waiting on results of scan so dont know if needed to be removed or not but if its an option I will certtainly waqnt it because cant bear the pain eek 

• Posted

I just had the scan last Thursday. I got up in major pain.I get tired, so I can't say its normal. Stop drinking dairy and eating dairy. Trust me I wasn't happy about it. Drink lots of water. The doctor put me on librax which causes dry mouth put the pills help. I had diahrea one day, it wasn't because of the meds. You will have good moments and miserable ones. The scan isn't bad, holding your breathe was the hardest part for me since I was in pain. Most everything they say to eat I can't because my stomahe doesn't like most vegatbles and no fruits. Eat bran, things with fiber, chicken, turkey, fish, nothing greasy or fatty. Skim milk is what we can have. I suggest waiting until you feel better for a few days. Everybody reacts different. Sorry you got this. It runs in my family both sides. I see my surgeon November 5 th and then I will find out more. Good luck on the scan, ithurts a little but it also helped with the pain.
    • Posted

thanks Lori it's good to know im not imagining the pain and the tiredness was beginning to think I had something alot worse wrong with me, I had my scan today so hopefully hear soon if actually have gallstones and if need to have them removed cry

• Posted

The pain is no fun. I can tell you that I get tired and weak. Don't lift heavy stuff and as you found out bending hurts. Have you stopped the dairy , greasy foods, and fatty foods yet? I had my scan last week and have to see a surgeon November 5. Drink a lot of water. No sodas. Good luck on your scan and I hope you start feeling better real soon.
    • Posted

Hi Lori i've had my scan now, still waiting on results back, but the tiredness is awful and feeling of being unwell, the pain is a constant dull ache, it is truly beginning to get me down I have slept most of today, and was off work thursday and friday and have informed them that I wont be in tomorrow, how long did you wait for the results from your scan, I was refered to them by A&E so I am unsure who I will get my results from, probably my G.P i would think but unsure how long this will take.

• Posted

My husband called the doctor office that night and we were told then. We got the blood test back the next day. I probably will see the scans on the 5th. I nerveous. The last three days very little pain to none since I changed my diet.  You can have skim milk. Are you drinking a lot of water?  I couldn't eat green beans and carrots at the beginning but I can now. You just have to rest, take your meds (the doctor put me on librax), drink water, don't over do it, no heavy lifting and bending.  I had problems lifting things for a long while. I actually walked to Walmart yesterday with my daughter; very slowly. It was a beautiful fall sunny day.  It felt great. I took water and kept drinking it. I'm lucking the pain didnt come back.  I know the pain gets to you. I have a virual bug in my back that hurt real bad 2008 in Oct. Then I ended up gettting mono (not by kissing anyone) in 2010 in Oct. The pain was hell and I made it through those. So I really know how bad the pain can be with illnesses.  It will get better.  I'm a stay home mom so I don't know how it will be working at work.  When do you have a doctor visit? You can always call in too like we did.  If you have a G.P. you will get the results from him. I just went into my regular doctor and he sent me in for a scan right away and blood test.  Hang in there! I know its no fun waiting. It is Sunday here but if its Monday were you are try calling the G.P. the might give you the answers over the phone.Let me know when you hear anything and how you are doing. If you need food ideas let me know I got a good list that a few nurses that are friends gave me.
    • Posted

Hi Lori, is it possible I could have a copy of your food list as i'm stuck on what to eat for the best. Thanks x
  • Posted

Yes sounds like the symptoms of gallstones, it's a terrible pain and sympathies are with you. Low fat diet, no dairy if you can. Eggs can be a trigger. You may find that you can eat the same thing several times be ok then bang your effected. Stay clear from acid food and drinks. Let us know how you are going.
    • Posted

Thanks Janet i will certainly try to avoid dairy products aand eggs (which I love sad)

• Posted

Hi again it took me over a week to finally not have bad pain. I had to look back on my fb page to figure it out.
    • Posted

hi lori ive been in pain (dull ache) for 3 weeks now, but feel awful, went to G.P today and resulots of scan said that I have multiple stones just waiting on appointment with surgeon now so hopefully wont be too much longer.

• Posted

Did your G.P give you a diet to use? I"m sorry it has been so long having the pain. It took the surgeon's office a couple days to call. The week has finally come that I get to talk to the surgeon Wednesday. If the meds and the diet isn't working then you probably just have to wait until surgery but then you will have different pain.  Are you drinking water? Have you cut out dairies and fat and greasy and spicey foods.  If you need help finding foods to eat let me know. I would just drink water until the pain stops. Keep me updated. I know the pain is hard to live with.
    • Posted

he didnt give me a diet to folow at all, I drink lots of watwr anyway, befinning to cut out dairy and greasy food, now I know I definately have gallstones will be more pro active with this, is Pasta and rice and bread ok do you know ?

• Posted

brown rice, noodles, and bread are fine. they suggest whole wheat but whole wheat doesn't like me and i don't like rice. I have had noodles with magrazine on them and parmason cheese that is skim together and it gives it taste. chicken, turkey, cornish game hen, cod, other white fish, tuna, reduce fat peanut butter, almonds, egg whites, lean beef, lowfat lunch meat, use sea salt, lowfat cookies, marshmallows, chocholate syrup, angel food cake; you can poke holes in it and pour jello in the holes refrigerate until jello forms. No Ham. If you like deer, elk or rabbit its on the list. oh i missed tofu. i got this list from two nurses who had the same thing we do. any other questions just ask. I was able to eat whoppers yesterday; from my daughters Halloween loot. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.