suspected gallstones

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

hello been having awful pain on right side for ages bouts of really bad diarrhea doc thought it was ibs had sigmoidoscope confirmed IBS but last week awful pain in my upper right stomach chronic acid reflux feeling nauseous, was walking the floor one night in pain ,went to docs who said it could be gallstone booked me in for a scan , i've gone onto a fat free wheat free dairy free diet , but had a roast beef {all fat removed } dinner last night veggies and potatoes and had bad indigestion all morning is this normal my doc prescribed omeprazole which stops the acid but don't know if you still get the lump feeling in chest of indigestion

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I got told by my doctor that certain veg and fruits can cause a gallbladder attack. although certain foods effect different people. I take buscupan for the cramps in my tummy. and tramadal for the pain. I also find Gavascon helpful for the acid. to. hope this helps .
  • Posted

Hi Dawn,I have a large gallstone which i am having  removed along with my GB  in 3 weeks time. I have found fruit is a major trigger for me and  meat really sets up a flare up too. IIt feels like a lump stuck if i do eat it. All I am eating is vegetable soup and gluten free porridge made with water and am fat free. You  would do well to keep off of all fat as I find the slightest bit eg  a small amount of soya milk is too much and sets off the nagging pain.You sound very much  like me I  have got  acid refluc too  which i hope  will ease once the GB is gone. The reflux was the first symptom i got well before any pain set in. I have had that for a couple of years . I got the right sided pain nagging a lot of the time now. A lot of people have different triggers but I find  that what I eat now  is crucial. I had some watermelon this week and am now paying big time with a flare up so it is just a case of finding what suits you. I hope you can get sorted out very soon. You have my complete sympathy.
  • Posted

Ah Ladies, I feel for each and every one of you.  Finding what works for you is crucial.  Some folk say avoid milk but I drink skimmed milk and that's always been ok with me.  I've told my GP to never say 'IBS' to me as I think that is a load of old tosh - it's an umbrella term used when they can't find out what's really wrong!  Oooh, gon't forget that Haribo is fat free!!  Good luck everyone,  Keep smiling 
    • Posted

I was once sitting with a senior consultant physician in hospital discussing an aged relative when another senior doc came in to ask his opinion of IBS.  "Doesn't exist". A syndrome is a bundle of symptoms with no DETERMINED cause. Could be anything from hypochondria to a tumour. If you're suffering there must be a reason (even if it is in your mind it is bad, eh?) but they can't easily cure something if they don't know what's wrong.  However, many drugs will relieve symptoms, e.g. analgesics, buscopan, etc.
  • Posted

Hi Dawn sorry to hear your feeling unwell. Try and avoid broccoli and all the broccoli family vegetables as they aggravate gallstones. Also eggs can be a trigger too. Try taking apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon 3 times a day in warm water. This is good for indigestion and also for dissolving stones and gallstone pain. Drink apple juice if you can as it also helps break down stones. Milk thistle is a herb that can also help. It detoxes the liver and gallbladder and helps the bile flow more freely. The main cause of gallbladder problems is high estrogen levels in women due to birth control pills hrt and other hormone drugs. The milk thistle will help the liver process any excess hormones in your body. The liver and digestive system are closely linked and once your liver is working more efficiently your digestive system will also work better. Also there are some studies that have found a link between the use of ppi drugs and gallbladder problems so be careful with the drugs your doctor has prescribed. I had my gallbladder removed last December due to one large stone bouncing around causing me pain and it hasn't been a good experience for me. Thankfully am starting to feel better the last few weeks but wouldn't wish What I went through on anyone. Ibs and reflux can actually get worse or better after the operation and unfortunately they can't tell you what way your body will react. Wishing you the best of luck. Take care xx
  • Posted

thanks all i think i will just stay away from meat that seems to be my trigger will get some apple cider vinegar as well x
  • Posted

Activated charcoal usually clears up indigestion , but it doesn't solve the main problems of GB

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up