Skip to content
MAB13

Suspected Meningitis

I was in a RTA 9 yrs ago and now in a wheelchair due to loss of use and feeling in my left leg, I also have lower spinal problems. I was rushed into hospital 2 weeks ago with suspected meningitis. I had to have a lumbar puncture, luckily I did not have meningitis but the experience of having the LP was horrible and I felt everything even

thou I had a local. I had no headache afterwards but 4 days ago I have been suffering with my lower back and its nothing like my usual pain, it doesn't matter if I lay down or sit the pain will not ease even with 10mg morphine tablets. I have a good pain threshold but even after the RTA I did not experience pain like this. I have had a little blood at the entrance of where the needle was put but I couldn't say if it had a scab and I have knocked it of when rubbing or if it has leaked slightly. I got my GP to give me a call to get some advice and I explained everything that has been going on. I have been told if it doesn't ease by another week I have to have an MRI scan done. I am writing this just to say don't be fobbed off by any doctor if you have been suffering for some time get it see to. I am very lucky I have a brilliant GP whom is very good and does not let anything go undetected. Due to the amount of medication I have to take since the RTA I can't take a lot of other medications so a the minute I just have to suffer with the pain. Just writing this to share my experience with you all and to say you can get a lot of pain weeks after the procedure even if you didn't get it straight after the LP.

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.