Suspicious Lesions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well...

my prostate MP 3T MRI scan results came in; & indicate "suspicious lesions".

my frickin' (old-school) urologist seemed to be reading me the riot act over the phone, telling me "I NEED A BIOPSY!" (as if to suggest I shouldn't have messed the MP 3T MRI in the first place). He was however open minded enough to suggest another urologist, who performs an MRI guided biopsy procedure, in the hospital, under general anesthesia.

so...I'm pretty damn apprehensive at this point...the new doctor needs me to come in for an appointment/consultation first...so as to establish myself as his patient (but doesn't have an opening until the end of the month). Don't like the delay...but unless I learn something different about this entire process...I guess I'm going that route

mark4man

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mark,

Before getting a biopsy I would strongly suggest you get a 4K, MDX, PCA3, or similar test, along with a color doppler ultrasound of the prostate done by an experienced doc who can correctly interpret the results. Biopsies can have many unintended consequences, some of them irreversible.

Good luck,

Fred

• Posted

What was your PIRADS score? Mine came back 4/5, but targeted biopsy found nothing. Then uro doc said BPH prostate nodules can look like PCA in 3T MRI scan. Wish he would have to,d me that before the biopsy. Still think that's the smartest way to go... 3TMRI, and if suspicious area is found, then targeted biopsy rather than pin the tail on the donkey biopsy.

Rich

• Posted

Sounds to me like you're getting good advice, i.e. you need an MRI guided biopsy by an experienced urologist. Now you can go to the recommended urologist, or you can search for another urologist who is trained in MRI guided biopsies. If money's not an object, I would research the Mayo Clinics in Florida, Minnesota or Arizona. They're very highly rated in Urology. Or with the internet, you might be able to find another urologist, highly experienced in this specialized procedure. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Don't worry about the delay. 95% of actual prostate cancers never cause any problems before the paitent succumbs to something else. Prostate cancer may be the most over treated condition there is.

I agree completely with Light1. No need for needle biopsies in this day and age. And remember, even if it is cancer, there is a strong probability that the best treatment is no treatment.

• Posted

Of all the tests available, biopsies are the most invasive and have the worst possible side effects, eg sepsis.

Was the MRI reported on by an expert in PCa?

What were you last two PSA results?

What was th PIRADS score and was that reported on by an expert?

• Posted

thanx for all the replies...here's where I am right now:

After dorking around on the local hospital w/ iffy urologists, I called fox chase. Wound up w/ one of their best urology surgeons, who reviewed my MRI image results (4 suspicious lesions...three of which were 11 mm or larger) & indicated that they did not look nearly as foreboding as the radiologists at my local hospital hospital seemed to believe; and also said that radiologists typical to that local hospital level may not employ the higher skills found among radiologists practicing in the specialty cancer diagnosis/treatment fields...& that (local radiologists) even use a different, less specific grading system (which I am assuming is pirads)...w/ a much shorter ‘good-to-bad’ range...than fox chase. ). Of the 4 lesions, he said that only 1 or maybe 2 gave him concerns, but to not lose any sleep over the matter.

He is more concerned (as am I) over my lower left groin pain, of which I myself am suspicious of bladder cancer...(also realizing that, due to an existing very badly damaged arthritic left hip...which causes me to walk w/ a cane...which in turn puts a lot of stress & strain on that groin region...meaning that it could be sciatica-like nerve damage running down into my groin or a muscle strain or tear)...but...I am not lose any sleep over that either.

He ordered a UT Scan on my groin (OCT 1) & an MRI-guided (fusion) Biopsy on my prostate (OCT 11). He indicated that the UT scan is necessary...because...not only is it the best method for cancer detection in the groin area (bladder, etc.)...it is also the best at picking up hernia related abnormalities (new or past repairs, including strangulation...which could also be the case for me in addition to the above). This will have to offset any radiation dosing fears I have (associated w/ typical CT type scans)...& most of those are baseless anyway (unless one undergoes a CT scan every freakin’ day for two weeks). Same deal goes for the physical biopsy...MRI’s (even the highest tech) can turn up questionable areas all day long, but only the surgical taking of samples can discern malignancy or not.

Nevertheless...I need to take that chance (in the sense of employing one evil to shed light on a greater evil)...(a phrase I once got from a CIA official). & I really do feel like I am in the best hands now; & will

soon finally get to the bottom of what ails me.

mark4man

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.