Swelling!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am just over 6 weeks post op TKR. I went back to work on Monday. I have an office job and after being there a couple of hours I get bad swelling in my lower leg and ankle. I try to sit with it slightly elevated but is not very comfortable. I'm walking around to keep moving. Obviously I can't ice it unfortunately. Am seeing Physio later and see what they say. Any thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Heading back to work seems to be difficult for most people and your experience seems very normal. When it's happening to you, it feels anything but normal, doesn't it. My thoughts are you need some ice and elevation. I'm curious why you can't ice it at work? There are some great ice packs out there. Cryomax has a medium size that you can strap onto your knee and it's an 8 hour ice pack. I highly recommend it. I'm not sure what country you are in, so that might be a challenge, but hopefully you can find something similar that will work for you. You also mentioned that elevating was uncomfortable. Is it more uncomfortable at work then at home? Is there a way that you can work on that so it's not so uncomfortable? Best of luck.

-Mo

• Posted

Hi Mo. I'm in the UK. Will see if I can find those ice packs. The ones that I have at home are kept in the freezer and once you wear them they don't last long. Yes, the elevating is worse at work. At home it's not a problem

• Posted

Gm is it possible to get the gel pacs to freeze amazon sells them then elevate while at work and ice? I'm going back to work in 3 weeks and I too work in an office. The pacs can be used on top of clothing, I put mine in a pillow case and that's what I'm gonna do....I hope it can work for u..gl

• Posted

I am 5weeks and my leg swells up and gets tight and heavy - only way is to get up and walk around ever half hour if poss?
  • Posted

My two cents on elevating-in order for it to be most effective your knee needs to be higher than your heart. May look strange but if you could for a bit lay on the floor and put your leg up on the chair.  I know not easy in the office, but would they rather have you there or at home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.