Swelling after Knee replacement surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

On my 2nd Knee replacement had left one done 10 weeks ago and the right one done on Tuesday.

Want to start working out the Knee but the swelling is very bad. I had the PT come the day after surgery and I think we did to much. Had ROM of 105 but today with the swelling who knows.

Anybody have this happen. Also left knee last time took my DR 45 min and this took 1 hour and 20 min

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Be sure to ice and elevate your knee several times a day---this will help with swelling and the pain.
  • Posted

Swelling 2nd,3rd day REALLY normal. Ive heard people call their leg a sausage! The body has a delay from shifting all the fluid from the trauma of being manipulated.

Glad you came thru and let us know.

You know the drill. Rest, ice, elevation, lots of foot pumps, meds. Dont traumatize the knee by being aggressive but move around the bedt u can.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Buddy

Blimey! 45 mins for 1st knee! My surgeon said 90 mins to 2 hours for TKR!

As for swelling, you have just had a brutal operation, swelling is expected. People who have had both knees done (at different times) have all said that both ops were different. Don't stress over it, do your rehab etc & get back on your feet. Don't think this one is not the same, something's wrong! As long as you aren't in agony & losing feeling in your feet, I'm sure all is ok.

If you really think something is wrong call the hospital/surgeon & get advice from a medic.

Good luck with your recovery.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Buddy

I meant to say also, I had TKR October 2016, my rom is about 95/97! My Physio still says I'm doing well!

I think you are doing great, just don't push the knee too hard too soon.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Ive said before here,in my opinion this is two major ops far too close together. It was for me. I did not have a leg to stand on and lost confidence even with two sticks.

Are you walking?

Arrabest.

Mike

• Posted

Mike,

Walking really good on the left knee that was replaced and on a walker right now till the swelling goes down on the right knee. My goal is to have the left knee working with a 127 Rom and 100% straight by 6 weeks, I am commttied to being able to walk straight and enjoy life

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback,

I was very fortunate on the 1st knee replacement and was up and going right away. Have 127 Rom and 100% straight at 6 weeks. You guys are right that every knee is different. I am iceing and evevating the 2nd knee and i hope the swelling goes down so I can start rehab.

• Posted

Hi Buddy like you had my second TKR March got lot of swelling more than first one got this nasty rash which I still have. I knew myself something wasn't right I can't walk straight and my back and hip kills when walking, after 10 months the swelling is going down now they tell me it's out of line maybe that's what's causing all the swelling and pain I hope your TKR goes well give it a few months then start asking questions

• Posted

Question on hematoma

I am at 17 days on having my left knee replaced and everything is going well ( -1 and 107 ) but have a hematoma on the right side of my Knee ( no infection and wound looks OK ) anybody had hematoma and what did you do and did it go away.

I am iceing the Knee and elevateing it. Not sure how much I should push on my work outs ( I need to work the leg out but I want the hematoma to go away )

Thanks for any advice

Buddy

• Posted

Hi Buddy,

Hematoma is the result of bleedi g into the tissue. You can feel a lump if its close to aurface. Once bleeding stops, time is the only thing for cure sto reabsorb. I have seen surgical removal when they were so big the obstructed other areas like in the neck and airway was an issue. They can be painful if they are pressing on nerves. Sometimes a gentle rub can help but overall, time is the only cure.

Good luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.