Swelling and pain 6 days post op

Posted , 8 users are following.

here I am 2am awake again, my leg is very swollen and painful only been given ibuprofen and paracetamol plus a few gabapentine 1 in morning and 1 at night.  How long does this swelling last I don't remember? This is my 2nd TKR I'd forgotten how hard the recovery is. Boo hoo! 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Elaine94716, I do feel your pain. I am at 15 weeks and still ice after exercising. My knee seems swollen most of the time though. I do hope you can get some much needed rest. Chico Marx recommended voltaren gel which is a nsaid gel to rub on the knee for pain. I am finding the recovery difficult too, but know in the end it will have been worth it. Good luck.

Debi1051

• Posted

Hey Elaine,

If you wake up and it's swollen ice it. Whenever it is swollen ice ice ice. I a man 12 weeks post op TKR and am still I wing for pain relief and swelling. Hang I now there it will get better. Mary

• Posted

That should have read I am 12 weeks...... sorry
  • Posted

If your pain meds are not relieving your pain, ask or, if you must, demand meds that work. You can't get better if you're in pain, especially if you can't sleep.

• Posted

You need stronger pain meds! For heaven's sake. You've been butchered. Call up the doctor and tell them how much pain you are having. Tell them you need something stronger. You can't heal if you're suffering in pain. Gabapentin is a joke for pain relief. You need the opiates. It's the only thing that will take the pain away. Please call tomorrow and get help. Hugs.

• Posted

Thanks renee I am now icing more and will ask for something stronger. It is butchery for sure! I've watched it on you tube and it is horrific! X

• Posted

Hi

Only 6 weeks if you are lucky. Hot baths, icing ( google Aircast cuff and knee wrap)r rest and elevation.

Good healing

• Posted

thagnks clive I have the air cast cuff they gave it to me from hospital so am using it more. X
    • Posted

Did they give you the ice bucket with the Air cast cuff?

As the ice bucket really helps st night as to change the ice water is easy.

Also 4 ice pads which fit inside the ice bucket 2 at a time, then fill with ice around the pads and it's good for 12 hours

Regards

Regards

• Posted

No they didn't give me the ice bucket, which would be great if I had that as I could do it in the night.  Oh well.  I've got appointment with doctors pharmacist in the morning.  Thanks  Clive. 

• Posted

The ice bucket arrived today Clive!  Looking forward to using it, it's much better than the fridge sketch. 

• Posted

Ah I feel for you I'm waiting for my 2nd TKR Also I DO remember the Pain after the 1st

Get some stronger Meds Plenty of Ice Too Really Helps

I'm 12 years Post Surgery from My 1st TKR and it took around 14 weeks to be more "Comfortable

Good Luck

• Posted

Thanks. I am now icing more and see if it takes the swelling down.  I'm amazed they don't give out tramadol any more just over the counter paracetamol and it's just not strong enough.  Hugs. Xx

• Posted

Good😀 How About Co codamol? It helped me and still does 😀

• Posted

yes have taken co coda mol today had some left over from last time.  I will ring the doctors for more x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.