Swelling and pain 6 days post op

Posted , 8 users are following.

here I am 2am awake again, my leg is very swollen and painful only been given ibuprofen and paracetamol plus a few gabapentine 1 in morning and 1 at night.  How long does this swelling last I don't remember? This is my 2nd TKR I'd forgotten how hard the recovery is. Boo hoo! 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Elaine, 6 weeks post TKR. I ice religiously but also elevate twice a day for about an hour. That is the #1 medical treatment for s swollen limb. Make sure your foot is higher than your nose ("Toes to Nose"wink. Lie Down, you want your head and heart to be as low as possible.

As for pain meds, personally I have had a hellish recovery so far and only now I am on Dilaudid 2 mg every 4 hours. Previously I took between 25-50 mg Vicodin if the pain did not come down. For proper healing your pain cannot be higher than a 4 at all times. Anything higher than that and the knee switch from healing mode to fighting the pain and inflammation. Good luck, keep on the ice, the elevation and the excercises. Wishing you good healing!

• Posted

Thanks Mill that is very helpful.  I wish they'd tell us that in hospital! I've iced 3 times today and on top of the pain but the leg is very stiff so physio is almost impossible. Ho hum.  Have you driven the car yet? X

• Posted

Elaine, that is Groundhog Day everyday for me. Wake up and stiff as a plank. Soon after I wake up my husband help me stretch - specifically where you lie in bed on back, move your lower body so your buttock is right on edge of bed (so you are trying to keep your upper body " straight". Keep leg straight and he places one hand under heel and one under knee and brings it down slowly until my foot rests on the floor. It stretches the whole leg. Hold it as long as you can but no more than 3 min. He lifts it up straight and slowly lower it again. We repeat 3-4 times. Then we do 10 heel slides (lying with leg straight and sliding knee toward your chest, bending the knee and holding it for 10 seconds). Doing ankle pumps while you do this. Not even close to driving but do not let that scare you I have had a very difficult recovery.

• Posted

Elaine, I don't know if this will help with pt or not .... I was on Vicodin and the therapist had me take 2 (my dose was 1-2 every 6 hours) pills 1 hour before pt. It got me through without hurting him when pushing my leg to increase ROM

Debi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.