Swelling following TKR

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi, I had my op 4 weeks ago, I am surprised that my leg and foot are still swollen. Just wondered if this is normal? If I spend any time on my feet my foot swells up even more? 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm afraid it's a familliar pattern....Mine is still swollen after 4 months sad

Did you read my blog?

• Posted

Hi Pete, I haven't read your blog but I would love to? How do I access it ?
    • Posted

Hi Schumacher,

I did post the link for everyone to see a while back, but apparently I wasn't supposed to do that.  But thats another story.  I'll send you a private message with the web address.  I'm not sure it will actually appear as a link to click on, you'll probably have to type it in the address bar at the top of your screen to get there.

• Posted

May I have a link to your blog as well? Post-op 6 weeks and looking for information regarding when I can expect some of this stuff to go away. Tganks.
  • Posted

Absolutely. Realize how much soft tissue, ligament, tendon trauma you have encountered. A nasty sprained ankle alinwcan take weeks when there hasn't even had anything invasive happen. Nerve damage heals only a few mm a month. Barometer changes cause swelling. Give yourself several months to a year. Keep up conditioning, especially icing. Patience is important. Don't set your expectations so high that you can't appreciate the healing that has taken place. I have had 9 surgeries on the same leg, it doesn't get any easier just because you know what's ahead. Set goals...90 days to get to O.... Another 30-60 to get to 115-120°. Small steps bring the feeling of accomplishment. Hang in there and stay positive.

• Posted

Hi I had my op 5 weeks ago. It is still very swollen and tight around my knee and if I don't elevate my leg,it swells at the ankle. Do you ice the knee? I use ice a couple of times a day and it does help. I do exercises 2 to 3 times a day but find bending it very difficult at times due to the swelling.  Hang in there as, I keep being told, that it does get better with time. All the best.
  • Posted

Afraid it does seem to be normal. I'm 5week tomorrow knee a lot more swollen than ankle .knee very hot have to put ice on. Unfortunately you have.to move around so there's not a lot you can do about it. Every night I think tomorrow will be better , but you know what it's not. Think its a longer job than people realise. Take care you are not alone 
  • Posted

Hi, I'm now 12 weeks post op and the swelling has pretty much resolved apart from 2 areas above and to the side of my knee. It was grim at first especially after walking and standing but if you can bear to keep it raised for a little while when you're sitting I found that helped. I was told by my Consultant that it can take up to 6 months to resolve completely so don't worry you'll get there
    • Posted

hi im 6 months on my right and 5 weeks on the left ,dont know if its because ive got the two to work but i have the same pain as you but have been told it could take up to 2 years to resolve , 
  • Posted

Hi,

if it's any help, I am just over 11 weeks post op and literally in the last week I feel I've turned the corner.  

Last week at physio I was in tears.  I missed not being able to get down on the floor with my beautiful grandsons.  Not feeling in control of my life.  Wondering if I would ever feel anywhere near 'normal' again.

Today, even my lovely physiotherapist noticed the difference.  Suddenly, I feel more positive than I have been for weeks.  Don't ask me why.  There have been times - and not so long ago - that I thought I had made a huge mistake having this most difficult operation.

Please accept that the aching and painful knee, the feeling of being helpless/useless, sleepless nights, tears that come out of nowhere do eventually go.

I wouldn't recognise myself from my very first post on here just 6 days post op.  I felt as low as I had ever done in my life.

The progress with this operation is frustratingly slow, but it does come.  Not necessarily day by day, but week by week.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, thank you for replying, I can so relate to everything you said.

I guess we all have moments when we wish we'd never had the op, I know I have! I know there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!

pauline.x

• Posted

Hi 

I am 7 weeks post operation.

My knee and ankle was swollen after surgery and although my ankle is fine now my knee remains swollen l place a ice pack on it 3 times a day. 

I saw my consultant on Monday and he wasn't concerned. 

All the best x

• Posted

im the same as others 6 months and 5 weeks on the other knee , still have a little pain in the first knee but do feel that i am getting there , even hope to get back to work soon and i have a on your feet full time job , take care 

• Posted

Thank you everyone, so good to hear your replies, makes me realise everything is normal for this stage of recovery.

I am so grateful for these forums to be able to talk to people who know exactly what I have been going through.

I think I am guilty as I'm sure many of you are of wanting to 'run before I can walk' so to speak???

i have noticed a few improvements this last week that have given me joy, being able to swing my leg over the bath to stand in the shower being one!! 

Also, when I was getting in the passenger seat of the car I had to get my partner, Paul, to lift my leg up in to the car, now I can do that myself too!!

On a downside has been seeing people in the street and them saying 'are you better now" ???? Also my boss rang me up and asked if I knew how much longer I would be off work????? Grrh!!

i am still taking my pain medication every 4 hours on the dot, I often wake in the night in pain still but that is lessening now.

I do sit with my foot raised on a pouffe all the time, and yes, I do use ice, probably not as often as I should??i wish you all success in your recoveries and thank you again for your comments.

Pauline.

• Posted

when you have your 1st knww done ,you hear that you should be looking at going back to work after 4 to 8 weeks , well it just does not happen ,i work in a local school kitchen ,i start at7 30 am and finish at 3 15 pm , long hours , but we feed 1700 people with food that is all cooked on the day , so yes it s hands on and hard work with no time to sit down ,and people ask when are you going back to work ,its a hard one to answer its all about personal recovery ,ive been off work now for 16 months ,first with one knee then the other joined in making it hard to walk , by the time i had had all the x rays and mri s done 8 months have passed , then knee no 1 5 months later knee no2 5 weeks later i may be able to get back in about a month , people just dont realise how hard it all is , dont rush it and take your time and you will be fine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.