Swelling/lump beneath tongue (sublingual gland?)

Posted , 20 users are following.

A few days ago I noticed this lump under my tongue. It is soft but firm. It doesn't usually hurt but there is some slight pain if I keep touching it with my tongue. I have no idea what it is. Mouth cancer is vey unlikely because I'm 18. I think it might be a swollen sublingual salivary gland but I don't know. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

1 like, 22 replies

Report / Delete

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I certainly think I know as I have exactly the same ulcer in exactly the same place but I am 68! OK let me explain! I think you may well have either a hole or some slight problem that is causing a trauma type ulcer to the floor of your mouth. You do need to see either your dentist or GP! First how long have you had yours? Then I am going to ask some rather odd questions 1) are you by any chance double jointed? 2) Is your bottom faw much smaller than your upper one? 3) is your mouth very dry? 4) how well have you been sleeping recently? Have you been worried about anything like going to Uni exam results? Do you work shifts? Have you got wisdom teeth erupting? Having looked at the photo again I can see your oral hygiene is excellent and you have a degree of saliva present, have you recently had a brace removed? If so did the orthodontist put a small retainer at the back to keep you teeth in place. Something is causing that ulcer, it certainly looks like a minor traumer so you do need to see a dentist or a GP I am hypermobile I was very early talking very laste walking. If you have any form of hyper mobility it's normal unless you are in pain. So was it the pain that is making you type this? Do you sleep really well normally? Are you getting a good night's sleep or have you been burning the candle at both ends? I was a teen once! Do jump at sounds are you anxious? Pleas try not to worry but think about these somewhat odd questions. If any of them apply please explain this to your dentist. Just a few more questions to help you and your dentist get to the bottom of this 1) do you smoke? 2) do you suffer from copious ulcers? If any of these random questions apply then please see your dentist about you mouth and a GP if you are having sleep problems. One last quick question do you snore, do you wake up with a jolt in the night , do you have very vivid dreams do you wake easily? If any of that last bunch of questions applies you do need to see your GP. He might suggest you down load a sleep app onto your computer. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Pam, is it caused by lack of sleep and stress? Are you a doctor/dentist? My 12 year old nephew has the same lump on his tongue, underneath. It grows when he eats, and shrinks when he drinks. He says its not painful. He noticed it about a month ago. He's been under alot of stress lately, after his mum abondened him and his 9 year old sister.  They're both ok, now that they're with me, but I do know that it upset him.  And he was stressed out, had sleepless nights. We've taken him to see a docter, who referred us to a dentist.. which we're due to see in a couple of weeks. You're advice would be great thanks.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi ransomed, I came across your post and I have exactly the same lump out on side of bottom of my mouth. I went through cat scan and ultra sound, they even cut it and did a biopsy. But found out nothing. As they cut it, it is getting smaller at bargaining, but it getting bigger after eat. Now it's almost go back to the size before the cut. Could you let me know what happened to you as it has been 6 months since your post time. Thanks a ton!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. The lump you're feeling is the sublingual gland. In fact it's two lumps firm right under the tongue. Nothing to worry about. I wish people would stop posting other ideas like having the same condition and going on to explain certain medical procedures that are totally irrelevant. Believe me you can feel this gland it's totally normal. By the way it's not totally symmetrical either.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i have the same thing but its not always been swollen... is there something that can cause this gland to swell? ive recently had dental surgery and had an injection to numb my mouth but that was a week ago... is this likely to have caused the swelling a week later?

im going to perform some test myself on this with diet etc.. but want to rule out this first..  it is worrying i agree.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey pal did you conlude he solution to your sublngluar gland swelling?

I was at the dentist 6 days ago getting a crown prep done (nothing too crazy) however my denstist accidently hit my sublingular area with the drill and "nicked" the skin, plenty of bloof at the time.

Now 6 days after the "cock-up" I have a swollen sublinguar area, which is very annoying and worrying of course>> One doesn't expect to possibly need oral surgery after having a simple crown prep.

Do these things subside over time on their own? Mine hasn't really got bigger since the injury, it swelled up pretty much immediately and remains the same size as far as I can tell. Zero pain, sometimes it might bleed slighlty if I eat or brush quite aggresively but other than that it just feels slightly strange when talking and eating.

I'm totally gutted!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello, did anyone conlude he solution to this sublngluar swelling?

I was at the dentist 6 days ago getting a crown prep done (nothing too crazy) however my denstist accidently hit my sublingular area with the drill and "nicked" the skin. Now 6 days after that I have a swollen sublinguar area, which is very annoying and worrying. Don't expect to possibly need oral surgery after having a simple crown prep.

do these things subside over time on their own? Mine hasn;t really got bigger since the injury, it swelled up and remains the same size as far as I cna tell.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I do have the same situation. Can anyone helpw how to treat this one? Because my doctor told me umtil this friday if not yet disappeared he will make a surgury to it. I am afraid.🙁

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hiya,

?I expect you've had it treated surgically by now, as they can't be treated any other way.   

To anyone else who's scared about having their sublingual gland removed, it is often a painless proceedure done under general anaesthetic and the pain gradually subsides, some have hardly any pain after, just some minor pussing.

?I've had two minor salivary glands removed and they were whoppers. The first one I had removed hurt alot more than the second one removed, but hurt more in terms of major growth split. 

?Despite being grossly infected, they were benign.  Thankfully. 

?Usually caused by impacted wisdom teeth, at least that's my feeling to it, as I have an impacted wisdom tooth now and had a coronectomy done on a lower one and gums still feel sore and trauma to it caused a cyst to appear.

?Its best to find an experienced oral surgeon with an interest in this area, so that you can get the best possible care.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up