Swelling on operated leg

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had THR on Thursday. All went very well. Yesterday my lower leg and foot became very swollen . Before I could be discharged from hospital I had ultra sound to ensure no clots. Was told it was excess of fluids and poor circulation. Since being home, have iced, kept elevated. This morning it was back to normal but is now very swollen again. Is this normal part of recovery?

any magic remedies to help?Many thanks.xx

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol, yes the swelling is all part of it. Mine was badly swollen, but I was advised to go to bed every afternoon for two hours with foot elevated, even if I did not sleep to stay there for the whole time, the fluid definately moved after that. Went to the loo as soon as I got up. 

Also make sure you are drinking enough to flush out the system so to speak and also also move around regulary and do your exercises no matter if it is painful. That will get the circulation going again too. smile

Good luck;

• Posted

Hi Carol, how are you doing? Yes swelling is normal. My leg used to get very swollen and tight by the end of the day, and then by morning it was better again. Ice and elevate, and as AuntieBeanie said, also move around and drink plenty of water.

Good luck, Judith

• Posted

dear carol,

Swelling and warmth  are common after a hip replacement .

The ankle may also swell on the operated leg. This represents the normal process of healing and can last for several weeks to months.

did you have the anterior or posterior approach ? either way, you just had major surgery - with posterior, tendons, muscles etc. were cut, joint forcefully dislocated, bone cut and cavities prepared for placement of hardware - Anterior will not have the muscles and tendons severed, but still have the manipulation and placing of hardware ... 

are you on blood  thinning medication?   good that you were checked for bloodclots - 

Be gentle with your self - 

how are you doing otherwise?

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.