Swelling questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

13 weeks since I broke my patella. Slowly getting back to normal. I can now somewhat walk with no crutches. Slowly learning how to walk again.

My foot keeps swelling up. Does anyone have suggestions? It's fine in the morning but come afternoon/evening, it's swelled. I'm still elevating my leg. If I go in public/work, I have to wear a sock because no shoes fit once it swells up.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I just read how you broke it but how in the world do they fix it !?
    • Posted

Thankfully it didn't require surgery like most do. I was in a immobilized brace for 8 weeks. Could only remove it for showering. My leg was in a straight position the entire time. Very irritating! I'm able to finally walk a little bit on it. I never realized how much I missed walking until this happened. Actually, I've been walking a lot today with the crutches. Still working on my bend.

• Posted

I'm 5 months post op from distal femur fracture surgery , and since I was allowed to bear weight the first of June, I've had issues with my foot on my operative leg swelling, and pain with walking when I flex my foot. My surgeon said he feels it has something to do with not bearing weight on that foot for 3 months making the bones weaker , and just need time ( and lots of calcium w/ vitamin D) to get it back to normal. He is sending me to a podiatrist this week just to double check. I wear a Jobst stocking to work to help keep the swelling down. Good luck!

• Posted

It doesn't hurt when I walk. It actually feels good because it's been so long. Odd, I know! I'm still working on my bend. The crutches have become my best friend. But it's getting closer to the day that I can ditch them. I'm going to look into that stocking. Thank uou!

• Posted

I understand how badly you want to walk, so it is tough to hear easy does it.  Just a reminder on elevation, in order for it to be most effective you have to have your knee higher than your heart, and for at least 25 min per hour.  Another consideration is compression, ask your PT or surgeon for suggestions appropriate for your recovery.  Best to you on this tough road.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.