Swimming after knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been swimming pre-surgery to gain strength. How soon after surgery, do you recommend getting back in the pool?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When dressing is removed and if wound is totally dry. Also depends on steps into pool. If you can't take much weight on bad foot use a foam tube I started hydro at hospital after two weeks. I have been advised No breastroke for a long time as requires a knee twist I Just use the pool for exercises I have a set from hydrotherapy that have really helped. Also slippy on poolside you will need to be very careful not worth risk of falling. There are plenty of on land exercises you can do for ages. I'm a water baby and can't wait to do backstroke or crawl again. Aiming for summer . Still get great pleasure from getting in and walking without holding rail! Ask Physio or consultant too.
  • Posted

Like all things in the healing period, check with the surgeon. You definitely have helped yourself by the presurgery conditioning so you don't want to have a set back by making a mistake of accepting non qualified advice. We are all so different that recovery isn't a one size fits all.
  • Posted

Like all things in the healing period, check with the surgeon. You definitely have helped yourself by the presurgery conditioning so you don't want to have a set back by making a mistake of accepting non qualified advice. We are all so different that recovery isn't a one size fits all.
  • Posted

I'm also a water baby ex scuba diver. I was in the water doing hydro at 3 weeks post op. I was in the ocean at 4 weeks on crutches. And now I do all the strokes except for butterfly as my shoulders won't allow it...I'm sure my great results are from swimming and aqua aerobics.
  • Posted

I think Caroline is correct in her timing. If you are good with bathing, you are good to get in the pool. It's more about how you get in and out that you may face the challenge. I'm 5 months post op and can go up and down stairs without a cane. I don't have an indoor pool to enjoy, but the weather here is warming up nicely, so I think in two more weeks I will be able to jump in. I only have ladders in and out, so this will be a new challenge for me. Luckily my upper body strength has been built up due to the bilateral knee replacement, so I think I should be able to pull myself up fairly easily. Let us know how it goes.
  • Posted

My consultant said back in pool after 6 weeks but no breaststroke for another 4 weeks (10 weeks)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.