Swimming after TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm 12 weeks out from LTKR. Have been doing pretty good really walking daily exercising etc,. Had a 2 night hotel break this week with partner,Decided to try swimming, found my knee heavy and weird in the water, can only breaststroke so after trying for a while gave up as too painful . Still painful 2 days later. Resting icing ibuprofen and still same,, hopeknee replacement not damaged or dislocated. , ??

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Glenda I think youre right in your reply to Nuala. I read somewhere else,not a knee forum but a fitness forum,that breast stroke is not advisable with sore knees,let alone replaced ones. I go in the pool often,and to Nuala Id say walk rather than swim,and intersperse it with a few lengths CRAWL,and floating on yoyr back using a cycling motion with your legs. I DO the breast stroke,but only with my arms,letting my legs hang motionless. You still move!! Also when Ive been in the pool I still feel it when I come out,and Im at 8 months now. So most likely youve not really hurt anything Nuala. Just stop doing breast stroke with your legs.
  • Posted

I must thank you all for your input and suggestions. I rested all day yesterday and so far today. Knee still bit sore but not as bad. No breaststroke leg movement for me again just paddle and float. Hole in eardrum have to be careful not water in ear. Breaststroke was ideal for me. Ah well. Thanks again all. Xx
  • Posted

I found the same thing. I love the breastroke, but getting that frog kick wasn't in the cards for me. It was painful. I think it's safe to say that you didn't really do any serious damage - these new knees are tougher than that. I found it hard to even do the regular flutter kick. But I did find treading water to be helpful. And I would use a kickboard more as a float (someone else mentioned sitting on the pool noodles, which would be even better) and doing a bicycle kick while treading water. It allowed my knees to bend and got me moving without bearing the normal body weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.