Swimming and TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I'm almost 6 months post TKR and the best thing I ever did was start swimming - or rather exercise under water and a bit of swimming.

My knee has strengthened a great deal, I walk good and am feeling much happier about it all now.

However, I now have a different problem - I seem to have developed a chlorine allergy!  This is a real pain as I was going to the pool 3 times a week and I was fine for the first 6 weeks or so but now I itch like crazy for a couple of days after, even if I take anti histermines

Has anyone else come across this?  My pharmacist assures me it's not a conflict with medication (I take Targinact, Naproxen,Lanzaprozole, Ciprolex and Elleste hrt) but I can't understand why I have suddenly developed it. The pool owners say they haven't changed any chemicals at all. Googling it doesn't help much.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated as I really, really miss my swimming. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My daughter has the same problem. She showers immediately after the pool and then uses an in shower moisturizer. That seems to help.
  • Posted

Hi Susan. .i am glad to hear that you think swimming is the best..i just signed up at my local pool and am hoping this will help to strengthen the knee. I think as we grow older our bodies become sensitive to things that didn't used to bother us..maybe it's the same for ypur new sensitivity to the chlorine or other chemicals they use. Maybe try Gold Bond calming lotion right after...i have dry skin now (didn't used to) and that helps me with the itching. Thanks Donna
    • Posted

Thanks Donna, worth a try.  Good luck with your swimming.  I actually tried a different pool last night in the hope it might help .... doesn't feel too bad, but I'm wondering if it might build up on my skin?

I still do all my exercises under water and pedal as if I'm on a bike - if I ever have this done again I will be in the pool a lot earlier, I really can't recommend it enough!

• Posted

Yes I'm 15 days post op doc says can't go in the pool for six weeks but going to extensive therapy out patient working my knee to reduce swelling bend it, it was 75% before I go to exercise after 2 session it up to 95% straightening in before 22% after 12% how about that. Keep up the good work
    • Posted

Hi Angie...I'm about 4 months post op..so noiissues with the pool but was a bit nervous getting in and out as i has severe muscle damage after the ops..so was a bit leery of the wet poolside floor and slipping. I also had a manipulation in August which helped my bend big time..before was only 80 degrees and aftrr am now 128 degrees. .hoping the pool will work on strengthening. Sounds like you're doing very well
    • Posted

I took my walking stick on the pool side and walked in crocs as I was also scared of slipping. I found a pool where I could walk into it as I wouldn't have been able to climb up and down a ladder.
    • Posted

That's what I intend to do as well. The pool here has a ramp and also proper stairs with a handrail...i couldn't do a ladder either. Going for the first timr this afternoon. ..looking forward to it but still a bit nervous. Seems like every new thing post this surgery is a small hurdle to be overcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.