Switching from citalopram to sertraline! Any advice helpful pleases as I'm scaring myself

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past 4 years iv been back on my citalopram 20mg for some reason the past few months my anxiety has increased and my GP has decided to put me on sertraline instead as she thinks my citalopram could have stopped being effective. To taper of she's said to take 1 citalopram as normal tomorrow then the day after just 1/2 a sertraline (1/2 would be 25mg as she's prescribed 50mg) then the next day 1 citalopram again and the next day 1/2 a sertraline again and so on until iv used my last 10 citalopram and can then take 1 50mg sertraline once a day. Has anybody else done this? I'm really scared about changing medication as my anxiety and panic is already through the roof and I can't take any more diazepam to help as iv been using it for 2 weeks already. I know how bad it was when I went on citalopram and I'm scared the change will make things worse and what if it doesn't work I'm back to square one!! Any advice would be helpful at this point as I feel like there's no hope! 😭😭

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There has been people on here that have switched successfully! I take citalopram and am thinking of switching. Hang in there! Please let me k ow how you get along?
  • Posted

I'm hoping to see more replies on this cause I'm considering doing the same. Been on citalpram for a year and feeling pretty good. Go said the go to drug for stress and anxiety is sertaline not cit. I'm also concerned about change and side effects mine last for months. If id known I had to feel sooo bad to feel better I would have dealt with my symptoms. Any advice would be great !

• Posted

Sometimes i don't know what to do for the best. Everyone is different so what works for one might not work for another. To be honest I can't feel much worse than I do now, I'll be taking 1/2 a 50mg sertraline tomorrow as I need to taper off my citalopram. I will keep you updated on how I get on over the next few weeks.

• Posted

I swapped from cit to sert sbt 5 wks ago i stopped cit misseda day an went straight on to sert i wasnt any worse but i did get side effects for first 2 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.