switching from olazapine to abilify

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Recently my pdoc decided to take me off of olanzapine and switch me to abilify without tapering the olanzapine. I take 7.5 mg of olanzapine and he wants me to stop cold turkey and take 5mg of abilify.Has anyone switched medications like this ? If so what were the side effects? Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well... my mother quit cold turkey because the olanzapine caused diabetic ketoacidosis, dehydration, stroke... while in the hospital, she had cardiac arrest. Months of rehab, she's never been the same. 

Bottom line- no clue of the side effects from quitting cold turkey because the side effects of the medication were so bad, she HAD to stop. The side effects from taking the meds were really bad.

Once going off the psych meds, we used herbs and TCM, and switched her thyroid meds, as they were way too low. I suspect her need for psyche meds was related to decades of untreated thyroid disease.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry about your mom.I hope she continues to get better.
  • Posted

Hi,

I have not done the switch yet. I am planning on waiting until the holidays are over. My doctor has agreed to let me taper off the olanzapine while adding the abilify instead of going off cold turkey. Thank you for asking.

• Posted

Hi, Yes, I was given amisulpride some years ago without tapering and had a seizure, and broke my ankle, Don't know about Abilify. Do you need lots of tests? 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. No, I do not need a lot of test for anything.
  • Posted

I did this switch 10 mg zyprexa to 10mg abilify.  The most immediate side effect was immediate insomnia.

I hope this message reaches you in time to hopefully help you.  I am 2 months off zyprexa and 1 month off abilify and the insomnia has been horrendous.

• Posted

I have been changed to going off zyprexa with the aid of gabapentin instead of abilify. I have gone down from 7.5 to 5 milligrams without losing sleep. this Monday I will go down to 3.75 mg zyprexa . Thanks for the information  stay strong.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

I switched from 2.5 Olanzapine to 5mg of Abilify 3 days ago . I am wide awake and it’s 3am :0 I’ve been to the gym 2 days in a row ( weight issues on olanzapine ) which probably is a plus because I’ve been meaning to loose weight for ages but really didn’t get anywhere . I am suffering with really bad nausea and insomnia and am starting to get that worried feeling again and am afraid of relapsing . I think I might be over vigilant and maybe should give it some more time and the Insomnia may have me more restless and anxious than I usually am . Today I felt really anxious and I hope it’s just a transition from changing meds . I have lost 6lbs too which is a positive for me as I’ve put on 4 stone since being on Olanzaphine for the past year or more . I joined this forum in the hope of support and chats . Hope you are all well and any feedback would really be appreciated as I really don’t want to relapse again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.