Switching to generic Lexapro tomorrow....wish me luck!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had to go into the doctor again today, due to the bad insomnia I had last night. I literally didn't sleep at all.

?She took me off the Metoprolol I just started on Monday (side effect is insomnia). I have to wean myself off over the next few days. She thinks my irregular heart beat was due to stress and anxiety.

?We also talked about how the Citalopram has not been working for me for the past week. I'm at 40 mg, so no room to go up. We're trying the switch to generic Lexapro, starting tomorrow. A lower dose. I've always wondered if the 40 mg was too high for me.

?I'm dreading the insomnia and increased anxiety these next few weeks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You should try a lower dose of celexa before you switch..that might do it..alot of folks that take beta blockers don't realize that it causes insomnia.. because doctor's don't inform them...

• Posted

The ten milligrams of Lexapro is like the twenty of celexa...
    • Posted

.....and I've chickened out;-). I was over on the escitalopram forum, and remembering how horrible the start up side effects are. I've decided to stick with my 40 mg Citalopram for now, at least until my check up in 2 weeks. I'm hoping the sun and advent of spring will help with the anxiety. If not, I can switch then.

• Posted

....and now I'm thinking of switching again!! Bad anxiety all afternoon. I'm telling myself that switching certainly can't be any worst.

• Posted

Get your self together..your all over the place..that's more dangerous than these meds..

• Posted

I talked it over with my husband (warned him, ha ha), and I've decided I will switch tomorrow. 

?My reasoning being:

?1. Bad anxiety at least a week now. It does come and go (Wednesday night was good), but overall it seems to be getting worse each day. I'm not eating much (lost about 6 pounds in a little over a week), and now my sleep is going downhill fast. I'm sweating bullets, pacing around my house during the day, and basically just miserable.

?2. I like the idea of starting on a lower dose. I will not allow the doctor to bump me up right away like they did after only a week on the Cit. 

?3. I've been reading online, and some people have surprisingly few side effects switching from Citalopram to Escitalopram. Maybe I'll get lucky.

?4. Although the worse anxiety and has been this past week, there have been signs for about a month that my antidepressant might be "pooping out". I remember 5 or 6 weeks ago feeling "funny" when I was out shopping, and starting to get anxious. My face twitching that I do when I'm nervous started at least two weeks ago. And there were times when I'd get anxious for no reason.

?I won't lie, I'm terrified. Not so much about the side effects, but more about if switching will work. What if I'm always like this? Will I now have to constantly be paranoid about my next med quitting on me? I think that's the one that bothers me the most. 

• Posted

The ten milligrams is like the twenty of celexa.. starting low is a good start.
  • Posted

gd luck and u will get there, just be prepared side effects , drink plenty of water , tri exercise a bit at the same time or littel walks for fresh air every day... 💪👍👍

• Posted

Thanks! To be honest, I'm terrified of switching. I'm still not sure what I'll do.

• Posted

Hi kelly.  Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck.  I am waiting myself to see if I will need to switch meds in a couple weeks.  Let me know how things go - I know I was worried myself about potentially switching.
    • Posted

I was bound and determined to switch, then around 8:00 last night my anxiety went away, and I was completely calm. It was weird. I was even hungry;-). I was fine the rest of the night.

?I did have to take a Trazadone to sleep around 1 a.m., due to thinking I hadn't slept yet. Today, though, my husband told me he woke up once or twice before then, and I was sleeping;-). I think I worry so much about it, that when I wake up in the night I think I haven't slept at all, when in reality, I have a bit. I also think the Metoprolol is messing with my sleep. I had to taper off, so won't be totally off until Thursday.

?Today, I'm doing okay. The sun is finally out, and I'm going to force myself to go out for a walk even though it's only 30 something degrees. Tomorrow, we have another snow storm coming!!

?After feeling so calm last night, I decided to hold off switching at least until mid May. I really feel I'll be back to my old self as soon as spring is actually here. I told my husband that if/when we have another bad April like this one, I seriously am going to fly south even for just the weekend. I just can't handle such a long winter.

• Posted

Hang on Kelly ..don't put your self thru that drama again..just hang on that's how recovery starts..it could well be the beta blocker causing you issues besides sleep also...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.