Switching to trazadone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Ive been on mirtazapine for roughly 10 months

My psychiatrist has told me to quit mirtazapine and start trazadone. Which I did 3 nights ago. Anyone else done this without tapering , just swapped ads? No horror stories please I'm already terrified I'll get major withdrawals or something sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also if I was going to get withdrawals_which I really hope I dont. When would they start?
  • Posted

I haven't done this.

What I have done is tapered off mirtazapine (and still am).

Everyone is different so there's point talking about what could happen.

If you taper slowly, gradually reducing the amount over a period of time that is not too quick then you should be fine. Generally speaking withdrawal symptoms will be severe if you cut down too much too fast.

I was on 15mg for 12 months. Went to 7.5 to 3.75 in 3 weeks and I got bad abdominal pains plus anxiety and insomnia. Went back to 7.5 which I'll stay on till xmas then will go down to 3.75 hopefully till march 17 before coming off altogether.

• Posted

I agree with Paul.  No other AD can cover the discontinuation syndrome from Mirt'.  You might be lucky; but to answer your question I'd say any time between day 4 and 2 weeks, sometimes at 2 weeks it suprises you.

Don't expect your doc or p.doc to know diddly squat about the necessary tapering.  For an informed choice click on my name and follow the links on my satus.

No horror stories - good luck.

• Posted

Oh my! You should be weaned off the mirtazapine while starting on a low dose of trazadone only to be increased while coming off mirtazapine. Call and ask how to do this. I am so sorry you are going through this.
  • Posted

Is this the post you said was missing?? I would say that if you started the new regime 3 nights ago, I can't imagine you will start getting withdrawal symptoms now.  It is generally a couple of days after I have found, also it depends on how much mirtazapine you were taking to start with.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.