Swollen ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am nearly 8 weeks since full knee replacement. But my ankle has been swollen every day since the op. The swelling is worse, after i have been walking or standing a long time. The later in the day, the worse it seems. 

Has any one else had the same problem. 

The knee is doing ok.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I had a similar experience.  I couldn't get a shoe to fit my swollen ankle/foor for months and had to resort to ever adjustable sandals.  Now 2 years on, I swear my feet are different sizes, and being half a size bigger then the other.

I did write a day by day/week by week/month by month blog about it, but can't give you the link on this forum...

If you'd like to read it PM me.

• Posted

Hi Pete,  I would really like to read your blog when you had your knee replacement.   I think it would help me not to feel so desperate! I am 4 weeks post op.   How do I pm you?  
    • Posted

Thank you very much, I read everything, with a break for dinner!  You've not had a good time of it have you? Some I read about are skipping about after six weeks.  I had the spinal and can't remember a thing after getting the warm fuzzy feeling in my leg!  I'm still not of a mind that I'm pleased I had it done, and I wished someone would have told me HOW much pain it would cause.  I'm just plodding on, Physio on Friday, no doubt I won't have been able to bend to the right degree, but suppose it's early days. At least I'm having a good sleep, mainly, fingers crossed. 

Thank you very much for letting me read your blog,  very informative, amusing and entertaining.   Hope you are keeping well.  

• Posted

how often do you elevate
    • Posted

Probably about 3 times a day. So how many times do you elevate.
    • Posted

on a daily basis, I work up to 10 hours a day in an office, some of the time my leg is under the chair bent, some straight out under my desk on a box and then there are the times when I tense the muscle (regularly).  My big bugbear is stress, that is when pain becomes unbearable.  "Fortunately" I work in an office where there is no empathy!
    • Posted

I am not due back to work, for another 4 week's but I expect to be much like you.

Thanks Sueisobel.

• Posted

Wishing you all the best.  My best advice is to ignore your knee, but every now and then you do need to get up and walk, even if it's only a few mins. You will be surprised at what exercises you can do at your desk and your colleagues will be none the wiser.  Work is good as it focuses your mind away from discomfort/pain. Just don't overdo it as everything you have psyched yourself up about will fall by the wayside.

Good luck

• Posted

I am 5 weeks post op and my only swelling is around the ankle.   Massage, ice help and moving regularly.

Good luck

• Posted

it would appear to be A common part of having the knee done.

Thanks Lynn

• Posted

Robert, I am 12 weeks po.  At 6-8 I had swelling on the top of my foot and my ankle.  The surgeon said to me that swelling will always moves down your leg.....my knee was and is doing great. A little stiff here and there.  Really stiff if in car for long time.

anyway...I was told to be sure to take the time to elevate when my ankle or top of foot swells.  20 minutes has worked great for me...so I elevated often.

mine has improve greatly.  Hope this helps.

Pam

• Posted

Sorry forgot. Also ice when you elevate....ice your ankle and knee.  It made sensse to me that the fluid moves down your leg when you walk a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.