Swollen knees and Physio

Posted , 6 users are following.

if your knee is swollen, should you rest abit from Physio? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Do you go to PT? Some times they push to hard. I would talk to them, if your going. Or talk to your doc. If you stop completely you may back slide. I did that years ago with just a scope operation. Sat on my butt and didn't get any better. Then had to work harder to build quads back up

• Posted

Don't know if this will help or not but a doctor told me about exercising an injured knee: if it hurts at the time, don't do it or you risk making it worse, if the pain is delayed don't worry too much about it. He didn't say anything about swelling though!

• Posted

Yes most definitely, ice, elevate, rest, your new knee will last years, do not rush things.

i had knee surgery in December 2015, pt rushed it, I git a damaged knee, which led to TKR in August 2016.

you and your body most definitely know best, take my word for it.

• Posted

Hi thanks. What is a TKR?

I'm 9 weeks post op. At 3 weeks my physio therapist made me go down 14 stairs and back up. Knee swelled up so bad and ever since same spot

Swells so I think it was because of that :-( I'm worried it's Damaged now

Have to have the other one done next year :-(

• Posted

I would expect some swelling after doing my PT. The first clinic I used always ended my session with about 10 minutes of ice, my current clinic has only iced me down maybe twice in 18 visits. If your at a clinic I would ask if they recommend ice if your doing at home you might want to do it on your own. Keeping the swelling down will let you continue your therapy. Of course there is the possibility your doing too much, try cutting back your time and see how the knee responds.
  • Posted

My knee is swollen from doing too much so I was wondering if I still should do the Physio I do daily or will,it b better to do it?  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.