Swollen leg 8 days post LTHR

Posted , 13 users are following.

Surprisingly little about this subject here, and i have conflicting information about leg elevation with regards hip precautions post-op.

I am now 8 days post-op and my leg is looking like a baby elephant, the last two nights having spread to my foot which I'm finding very painful. nowhere in my information from the hospital do they recommend elevation, just ice every two hours for 20 mins which i am doing, two hours bed rest which i am doing, 4xphysio exercises per day and plenty of walking, which i am doing. The swelling stay pretty much the same but gets worse in the evenings. The "reading matter" categorically states, " do not use a footstool", "do not use a reclining chair". Some of your resources mention people sleeping in a recliner, and sitting with the leg up? Seems to me that having you leg up while sitting would cause you to break two rules very easily, i.e. leg more than 90 degrees to hip and knee higher than hip. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi deffo raise your feet with a pillow or cushion underneath for part of day i was not told to do this either wasn't told not to do it best when youre lying down ( i had a proper lie down after lunch and had a snooze)

rest of day inbetween walks and exercises i sat on a recliner but the back part of chair went back too if you know what i mean keep to the 90 rule

• Posted

Hi Steven,

I was told not to use a recliner as it did not keep the hip aligned correctly. No one mentioned icing so I never did it. I used to go and lie on the bed and put my leg on a pillow to allow the swelling to go down. Overall the swelling lasted until about week 12, not as bad as initally but, I could see a difference, especially towards evening.

• Posted

my legs and got we very bruised and swollen but used my recliner with legs up and ice packs. I wasn't told not to.

by week four swelling had gone down a lot by week six could get shoes on and bruising gone.

• Posted

Hi, I was told no recliner. I had many lie downs with leg on a pillow between walking etc. Sometimes in the early days less excersize is better. Your leg has taken a pounding, literally. Dont worry if you need to rest a lot and elevate a bit

Denise

• Posted

The hospital put compression socks on both legs before the surgery. I had minimal swelling and did not elevate. After 2 weeks I only wore it on surgical side . After 4 weeks not at all. It really helped. I hope yours subsides very soon!

• Posted

Yes I remember the elephant leg. It lasted for about a month. My foot would get so tight from the swelling that it was uncomfortable and I couldn't wear my shoes. My in home PT said I needed to both ice and elevate the leg. Apply ice around the incision and hip area. Elevate by laying down on the bed for at least 30 minutes. I heard later that 45-60 minutes is better. Put a couple of pillows under your leg to get your "toes above your nose". I would do that about 3 times a day- either taking a nap, reading or listening to music. Ice will also help with the pain.

• Posted

my reclinerwas my happy place postop. DEFINATELY DID NOT BREAK THE 90 degree rule as the back angles back and feet elevared is always helpful for swelling sorry about the caps not deliberate

• Posted

Hi there Steve, I had my LTHR on the 16th Oct a few days ago. Had my first night at home on Thursday which was a nightmare. Luckily it was just my thigh down to my knee that was/is swollen. I had no advice regarding elevation or ice either. I have found that my sofa seems to be the comfiest for me. It has low arms which elevate my feet when I'm laid on it. I apply an ice pack every now and again when I'm nagged to by my other half and it appears to have helped massively. I'm concentrating icing my butt cheek and outside of thigh at the moment to see if that helps with the pain. Other than a couple of booklets about little exercises I was given no info, not even on 90° rules or anything. Like everyone I'm paranoid about dislocation. I've done some stupid stuff with my leg too. I'm sure we will both be fine. Sorry for length of reply.

• Posted

Hiya Dan😁

Sounds like ya doing well on your recovery, I'm a little ahead of you, i had my THR 5th October.

i too find the sofa to be a good place to lay down with my foot elevation toes above nose...

know what you mean on paperwork you get sent home with, I've got lots more info and advice from sites like this one, sounds like you only had two nights in hospital yep 😁 i was in over the weekend, also i had to have two packs of blood, as i lost too much blood in the op.

All the best with your recovery, chill out and go steady...

Stay Safe & Stay Happy 👍

Pete

• Posted

Update: Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I decided to call the hospital today for clarification, because to me, without elevation there is no way the swelling is going anywhere. Bear in mind I was talking the PT and OT advice that i should be up and about as much as possible, sitting up with only two hours bed rest in the afternoon. well i spoke to a doctor today and she said this: "where does it say you're supposed to be up and sat in a chair for 10 hours a day? you've had a major operation and need to rest and relax. Do your exercises to the letter, do your daily ablutions and toileting, other than that lay in bed on your back with your legs flat on the mattress. never raise your legs with pillows and cushions. get up and sit at a table to eat meals. If your legs keep swelling then keep on laying down. go for plenty of short walks around the house. if it hurts, don't do it". I've been laid in bed most of today and i feel so much better now, the swelling is down a bit and my pain has subsided almost completely!

Look after yourselve😁

• Posted

Steven, do not panic about the swelling, it will resolve itself. You leg has undergone a lot of trauma, some people are completely black with bruising, some have a lot of pain, others like you swell up. Carry on doing your exercises, walk as much as you can but lie on the bed with a pillow or two under you leg. It will start to recover, do not panic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.