Swollen legs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am now 11 months after first hip and 6 after 2nd- I have had lots of problems having had multiple pulmonary emboli and spinal cord problems after second hip-

Good news is that I can walk reasonably now( with a stick- and improving doing aqua therepy.

I wander if anyone else had had problems with very swollen legs atill at this stage and if so what they did? I feel like I have elephant legs

Sue

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue,  Sorry to hear you too are suffering from swollen legs, I know how you feel as at the moment mine feel so tight.  i had my left hip replacement five months ago  and I am doing well really apart from this problem.  I have just come from Menorca on holiday for a week and have walked a lot in the sun and I am now really suffering. The tops of my feet are really puffy and my legs are shiny and tight.  I am drinking water but they just won't go down. I also take water tablets.  I just hope that i am now back in the UK where it isn't as warm they will go down.

Lets hope that somebody out there will come up with a remedy!!!

kind regards   Margaret.

• Posted

If my legs were very swollen that far out after THR, I'd definitely be going to a doctor about it. Chances are that it has nothing to do with the surgery. And both of them? I think you need help from a medical professional.

• Posted

dear sue,

I agree with Annie - I also would make an appointment with my doctor to have this checked - 

Swelling and warmth around the scar are common after a hip replacement or hip resurfacing operation. The ankle may also swell on the operated leg. Since you had both done, this might explain swelling in both legs =

This represents the normal process of healing and can last for several weeks to months, depending on factors such as poor circulation, poor muscles, diabetes, hheart disease and other variables.

Don't want to scare you, but please a doctor to get peace of mind -

when was the last time you were seen by Ortho Surgeon? 

please let us know howyou are getting on okay ..

big warmhug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.