swollen operated leg

Posted , 17 users are following.

ok folks this is day 13 following a total hip replacement i’m doing ok but my operated leg is swollen all the way down especially my foot & ankle, i’m told this is normal but would love feedback from fellow hippies ps get my staples out in 2 days time.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David, don’t worry,I had swollen ankles, legs and feet, even though only one hip was replaced. It lasted about a week, I think. I’m 7 weeks post op and have other issues like my other hip  acting up a bit and my knee as well. Got a Velcro type back brace to help with back pain and everything is doing quite well now. There may be another hip replacement in my future!!! Give it time. (Easy for me to say, I was worried too lol.
    • Posted

thanks very much Cecelia that’s very reassuring. I wish you all the best on your road to recovery 
  • Posted

Are you elevating and icing it? That is good to do.
    • Posted

hi Diannesk, no i’m not icing or elevating, no one has mentioned about this to me 
    • Posted

Hi David

Yes yes yes..lots of icing..and elevate ..the hospital sent me home with ice packs..I'm shocked they didn't tell you..ice was the best for me .and movement..good luck

Connie

• Posted

I put ice pack on (using cloth underneath... never directly on the skin) for about 10-15 minutes at a time several times a day. When doing that I made sure to elevate my leg. Before going to bed, I elevated/iced again and made sure to be careful of the amount of amount of time. It does help to reduce swelling.
    • Posted

My hospital never mentioned icing either although I had read it on this forum and had bought an Ice pack from Amazon. In fact I never actually needed to use it so. It is still in its packaging.   
  • Posted

Totally normal. I'm about 5 months post op and my ankles are finally almost equal size now.

• Posted

I’m 11 weeks post op and still a bit swollen, numb on parts of leg and foot.  Mine might take a while.  The foot feels very tight still.  So don’t worry... it will improve.
  • Posted

I am a bit further ahead than you as I had my surgery on July 26th. I saw my surgeon on August 10th and he was happy with my progress. I had swollen thighs, calves, ankles like you with bruising on my ankles at that time and he said that was normal and not to expect it to resolve until 3 months or even more. Now at 31/2 weeks they hare not as swollen but still have swelling and ankles feel tight and sore but getting better. The surgeon told me that I had major surgery and not to overdo it. I was walking with a stick ( and a bit with out it) at that 2 week stage. Now I can walk without a stick but am careful especially walking around the garden. My main problem is travelling in the car ( my wife driving of course) when my hip and legs feel quite painful with the tight fit & going over bumps etc.

• Posted

Pillows in the car can help. The seatbelt was annoying and hurt so I always put a folded up towel in between the seat belt and me on the side. Also important to push seat back so legs can stretch out.
  • Posted

Hi David I'm 10.5 weeks post op and had swelling above the knee for several weeks. I found that the compression stockings seemed to make it worse and took them off probably more than I should have to get some relief. I elevated my leg a lot and also massaged it to try and get the fluid moving.

Don't worry it will eventually reduce it just takes time. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi david,

Very few people do not swell after this operation, my swelling was always worse at evening after being on it all day, then I would go and lie down. I never iced, like you I was never told. The swelling stopped after around week 8.

• Posted

Hi David, I was so surprised to hear that you hadn't been told to elevate and ice your leg, and trust you're doing so now. I can't tell you how much it helped me - I'm nearly 6 weeks after surgery and doing well. The other thing that's so important is to exercise regularly every day. I hope the physiotherapist in your hospital gave you a set of exercises to do regularly, it's so important! I was also recommended to download an excellent free app on my phone called PocketPhysio - it's not available on iPad or tablet - phone only. Do have a look at it. All the best David.

• Posted

Hi David, don't worry this is norm - I had the same and eventually it was ok?

Regards

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.