Swollen Tummy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all im now 9 days post op and doing really well, wounds still sore and tummy still swollen.

Any body out there who is post op can you please advise me on how long before the swelling went down in your tummy? Really struggling to do my trousers up still lol, luckily it's dress weather here at the moment, and also any post op ladies out there how long was it before you could wear a bra without it aggregating the upper inscion x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, E11eth, glad to know you're doing well after surgery!  It took a while for me, maybe two weeks. As for the swelling, the gas might still be working it's way through your tissues.  You might want to invest in a bra that you pull over your head, like a t-shirt.  They offer a bit of support, but usualy aren't  binding.   I've heard that trying to keep walking, as much as you are able helps the gas dissipate.  Best of luck!  And, don't be a stranger! xxx 
    • Posted

Thanks lynda

I'm just pleased that it's vest top weather which means I can go without at the minute, just hoping I can wear one before I return to work 😀

How long post op are you now? x

• Posted

I had my surgery in 2009, but I was having some problems with bile acid malabsorption, and I found this site this spring smile.  I must say, it's the most supportive site with the nicest people! Though I'm without my gallbladder I have learned so much from everyone on it that I can use.  I'm so glad that you are post surgery, and can look forward, aren't you? xxx
    • Posted

I have found this site invaluable whilst I have been suffering so fully intend to stick around.

I am so pleased that surgery is now done, feel like I can get my life back now, I had no quality of life pre op so I'm hoping to see a drastic change post op. It's lovely to not feel constantly nauseus, being sick and in pain! Okay still have some pain from the op but that's different 😀

• Posted

Yes, that post op pain is different!  Instead of, "uh oh, I'm sick," it's, "wow, that's over with, time to get on with it and heal!" biggrin 
  • Posted

It took my tummy a month for the swelling to go down. And another month to be able to wear a bra, but that irritation never really goes away. Due to the scar being sensitive. I had to wear the camisole with the built-in bras, until I could manage a bra. Also, don't wear pants or anything that pushes on the belly button area, until it's completely healed smile it's a no fun process that's for sure. Heal well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.