Symfony/Monofocal implantees: Do you know your axial length?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Symfony implantees:  Do you know your axial length?  I am trying to see if there is any relation to the outcome to see near better based on axial length of the eye.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sokssmile

I have a monofocal B&L IOL in my left eye. I plan to get a Symfony in the right eye in another month.

My axial length is 26.6mm (very long) in the left eye and slightly less in the right eye. I was extremely nearsighted, wearing -9 diopter contact lenses beforehand.

I have surprisingly good near vision in the left eye - 20/20 for near and 20/16 for intermediate (computer and beyond).Because of the lifelong myopia, I intentionally asked for the left eye to be set for -.5 diopters so I could have good near vision and wear glasses to correct remaining astigmatism for driving or when needed. The distance vision still fluctuates, 7 weeks after surgery, but so far I only wear glasses when driving in an unfamiliar area.

Unfortunately, my ophthalmologist has technicians measure the refraction and their expertise is lacking, so I'm not sure of the final results yet. When I went to my optometrist at 2 weeks, he said I was between -.75 and -1. diopters, and about 20/30 to 20/40. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.