symptoms just come back need help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I suffered from H.Pylori infection in October 2015, the symptoms were acid reflux, abdominal pain,bloating,belching. Doctor in Eugene, Oregon gave me quadruple therapy for two weeks. I felt better after i finished that course of treatment. Then in 2016, i started feeling some symptoms in April, and i had upper endoscopy in May last year. The result was chronic gastritis. i didn't take any medicine because i didn't feel any symptoms. in last year which is 2017, some symptoms recured around three times, symptoms were belching, stomach pain, lots of gas. i took PPI for around 14 days to 1 month when i had symptoms, and then symptoms disappeared. i'm like a normal person when i don't have any symptoms. i started to have lump sensation of my throat, regurgitation of food last month which is by the end of December of 2017. i went to see doctor, and doctor prescribed my PPI for three months. i have completed for almost one month, but i haven't seen any obvious improvement.

my question is do i need to have another endoscopy done or keep taking PPI, and can stomach cancer develop in one and half year (this is what i'm concerned mostly)?

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

keep taking the PPI and watch your diet. You have answered your own question, its come back because the medication was doing its job. i have been taking ppi for 10 years and am symptom free, miss it and my symptoms come back.  my body makes too much acid so ppi is only way to stop it.

dont worry about side effects. cars kill people every day, ppi saves lives by healing and stopping the damage done by reflux. stomach acid is very toxic so you want to keep it in the stomach. its not stomach cancer you want to worry about, its cancer of the oesophagus and ppi stops the acid reaching it. just because you have no pain doesnt mean the acid isnt on the move 

• Posted

Thank you for you reply bro, i forgot to mention that every recurrence of my symptoms is due to what i eat. If i eat a lot of spicy food, then symptoms will come back in a short time, but sometimes they don't that why i said i was like a normal person for a period of time. 

also, is regurgitate of food a typical symptom of gastritis or GERD, my recent endoscopy doesn't show any abnormalities on oesophagus except inflammation of gastric mucosa on antrum of stomach.

• Posted

also, you mentioned that acid reflux could exist even i don't have any symptoms, right

• Posted

I would like anyone to answer this too. Post gb surgery i get pain centre back some nights, take ppi but not on them all the time, should i be as i do get intermittent acid and bouts of diarrhoea.
  • Posted

Did the endoscopy show Hitial hernia at all?  If you are seeing that the ppi's are helping then that is good.  The thing of gastritis some people have it and don't even know it.  Taking a ppi stops acid from producing in your stomach this helps to heal the inflammation the acid causes.  The thing of it is we do need some acid in our stomachs to absorb the nutrients we eat and kill off harmful bacteria, so a digestive enzyme and a probiotic might be helpful.  I get a lump feeling in my throat on and off for about 8 months, from what I have researched is this can be caused from silent reflux, the acid is spraying up into the throat causing inflammation.  I would check with your doctor and he will know if you will need another endoscopy or just a change in meds. Not all ppi's work or their effectiveness can wear off over time.   Watch your diet and consumption during meals, lighter meals more frequently are better.

• Posted

Thank you! my recent endoscopy didn't show hiatal hernia, result says that the function of esophageal sphincter is good and just show the inflammation of mucosa on the antrum of the stomach where i used to have infection of H.Pylori (i took antibiotics in 2015 and H.Pylori was eradicated after this quadruple therapy). The symptoms recured four time during last year 2017, i noticed the reason that caused these symptoms is spicy food. i like spicy food, especially when i feel i like a normal person. i believe that the symptoms of this time is caused by food also, i started to have heartburn and lump feeling in my throat by the end of last month, then heartburn had gone after i started to take omeprazole, but lump feeling and regurgitation of food still occur sometime, for example, i will burp some food or liquid if i don't do a swallowing movement before burping. 

in addition, i had similar symptoms which is burping up food before my recent endoscopy (May of 2016).

I'm avoiding certain food that may cause some symptoms, such spicy food, and some fruits that contain high acid.

my question is.

1st, can hiatal hernia develop in one and half year

2ed, can stomach cancer develop in one and half year

3rd, do i really need to have another upper endoscopy done if my recent upper endoscopy (May of 2016) didn't show any abnormalities except gastritis

thank you veyr much

• Posted

1 & 2 Probably 

3 probably not unless you have a doctor trying to make money 

if you are lucky you can manage your reflux by avoiding certain foods, if not, then like me you have to take the PPI 

• Posted

Hitial hernias can develop at any time in life, ..A LOT of people have them, some don't have symptoms if they are small, but if they get big or slide that's when they can bring on symptoms.

As for the cancer part, I can't answer that.  Cancer is a tricky disease, some  cancers are slow growing while others are aggressive, so that is why I feel you are concerned about that see a doctor.  

The endoscopy test may be required if you are re experiencing symptoms or your symptoms change.  That is something your doctor will know best what to do.

Good luck to you.  

• Posted

Thank you, i will keep avoiding certain foods that may cause my symptoms and meanwhile taking PPI for the rest of course of treatment
    • Posted

thank you for your reply. yes, i'm concerned about this, that's why i saw a doctor at the beginning of this month, and doctor told me gastric cancer won't develop in the short period of time, the reason why i asked this question here is to just confirm what my doctor said. i'm still taking esomeprazole and will see if my symptoms calm down. i'm feeling well today, less symptoms today.

• Posted

you can get reflux without pain. If your doctor told you to take them all the time then do that as it will explain why the symptoms come back. 

Here you cannot go on long term ppi without an endscopy. Usual initial trial is 8 weeks as it takes about 4-6 wks to see if the work

• Posted

i have taken PPI for around 4 weeks, first two weeks was omeprazole and the third and fourth weeks was esomeprazole, i can feel sort of improvement, but not very obvious. for example, i feel good today, but goes back tomorrow. my doctor told me to take PPI for three months, do i still need to follow my doctor's instruction

• Posted

Yes, if they said 3 months, take it for 3 months and then you can tell whether it is working. WHy not take it?

the most dangerous thing you do is drive a car, they kill people daily 

• Posted

Won't taking PPIs give you vitamin deficiency? Have you got any side effects?

• Posted

i think so, that's why i have been taking daily supplement, such as Centrum, B complex.

do you have GERD also?

• Posted

Yes I have GERD and within a month of taking PPIs, I became vitamin d and b12 deficient. Now I'm taking vitamin supplements along with ppis. If I stop PPIs, my symtoms come back.

• Posted

I just stop taking PPI, because my Doctor asked me to take a breath test for H.Pylori, so, i have to stope it for two weeks. but i'm taking H2 blocker which is Famotidine, H2 blocker doesn't give false negative for breath test. have you done upper endoscopy? and what causes your GERD? what symptoms do you have?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.