Symptoms of depression ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anybody know if depression can bring about physical symptoms ?

For the past couple of months, I have had a general feeling of being unwell.    I have had severe indigestion, headaches, backache, nausea plus I have lost weight.  Also exhaustion and falling asleep at the drop of a hat.    I am under investigation for stomach problems and fairly recent blood tests were normal.   I do get S.A.D. every year, but I don't get mine until February or March.     I would be interested to hear if anybody else gets physical symptoms.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aaa. I am no expert or doctor but on my own experience I should say that depression affects your health. I also have constant headaches and stomach/vowels symptoms. Besides that I have more allergies than before and I have been like 3 times this year (throat infections, laryngitis and so on)

And I must say that besided my mental health issues I consider myself quite healthy. I eat very well, excersise 5 times a week, take vitamins...

Hope you feel better soon. I am still fighting.

Hugs

• Posted

Sorry have been ill 3 times. Sorry for my bad spelling, typing through my mobile
    • Posted

Thanks M.    It looks like feeling ill with various complaints is linked to depression.     After all, the mind controls the body, it is said.

Like you, I consider myself to be healthy.  I am a size 8 and exercise sometimes 3 times a week.     I take vitamins as well.

All the best to you as well

• Posted

Hi Angela

I would say 100% yes. I felt much the same as you do now before being diagnosed with depression. I had numerous tests plus endoscopy and the colonoscopy. Tubes/cameras and scans! All normal. Please don't leave things in the hope it will pass. Make a call to your gp asap.

Don't suffer needlessly ♥

God bless x

• Posted

yes! they're all very common and very normal effects of depression. the digestive system is always vuulnerable during changes in emotion. they could also be side effects of AD's (if you take any). either way, completely normal! cheesygrin p.s. hope you get beter soon....
  • Posted

Hi Angela definitely depression has physical symptoms. My doctor started suspecting my depression because I was seeing him about stomach issues although it was a year before I actually admitted that I was having other symptoms of depression. Although my stomach issues were caused by years of taking painkillers for another gynaecological complaint i do believe that my symptoms are worse when I'm more anxious. Also I have periods of intense itching but no rash or any other explanation which is being put down to my depression.

I also consider myself generally healthy and work out regularly but recently had laryngitis (not good as I'm a singer) and am struggling to shake off a chest infection.

Hope you feel better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.