T2: Change of diet & weight-loss = significant meds reduction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

T2, diagnosed about 15 years ago. 61 years old.

Thought I'd share what's happened to my medication regime over the last 3 months following a change in diet and resulting weight-loss. It might give others some hope!

Starting weight pre-diet was 17st 4lb (I've been heavier in the past).

Current weight is 15st 8lb and still falling ...but still over-weight.

I hadn't planned to start yet another diet but my wife decided to join Slimming World and it was easier all-round if I ate the same as she did as she's the primary cook (and a good one!). At the same time cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc., were banned from the house.

Starting meds: Gliclazide MR 60mg, Metformin MR 2,000mg. Control had been poor prior to the diet with numbers like 12 fasting and up to 21 pp....

After the first month of the diet I went to my GP as I was, at times, having to eat over and above the diet guidelines to keep my levels above 4 (I start to get the shakes at 5 or below). Gliclazide reduced to 30mg.

After the second month I was still having hypo problems so the Gliclazide was knocked on the head completely.

After the third month the Metformin was reduced to 1,000mg

Now I've probably got to wait for my next HBA1C test (Jan 2015) to see if I really need any Metformin at all. I'm not sure that I do but I'll stick with it a while longer. My GP has said I should go back to her if I feel the need to. I regularly get readings in the mid 4s before lunch and sometimes in the afternoon but at least I'm not going below 3.9 anymore (assumed "real" hypo benchmark).

I had no problems getting test strips either, even after coming off Gliclazide. The GP said she was happy funding the cost all the time I needed strips as the cost of my meds was going down as were, hopefully, the potential cost to the NHS of future diabetic complications!

The interesting thing for me is that I experienced almost exactly the same weight-loss 3 years ago when I was on WeightWatchers BUT my BG readings didn't improve significantly. I can only assume the Slimming World diet is better for me than the WeightWatchers diet. We certainly eat well but it's primarily meat, fish, salad, vegetables & fruit.

We also bought an Actifry machine (best kitchen gadget ever!) to allow us to have low-fat chips / roast potatoes which we do 2 or 3 times a week. So plenty of carbs!!??

As to exercise, apart from all the housework (I've retired but the wife is still working) and gardening, I don't do much. Not because I don't want to but because I have problems with athritis in most joints and I'm waiting for an operation on my back. Post operation, I hope to get back out on my mountain bike!

So, happy-ish T2 bunny...

Cheers

Stuart

PS: All descisions on reducing meds were made by the GP based on my own readings, I've since had an HBA1C test that she said was nearly down to non-diabetic levels. I think she was more happy than I was...

PPS: You are what you eat...think that applies to me anyway!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Good on you and slimming world is one of the plans recommended for diabetics
  • Posted

Stuart thanks for posting that. I'm T2 diagnosed just 3 months ago and take Gliclazide 80mg my sugar levels are now too low. I'm quite fit and love to walk 5/6 miles or cycle 20 miles. I seem to be eating more now than I ever did. the fight now is not to reduce my sugar levels, but to increase them (especially after exercise) yet keep my weight at a sensible level
    • Posted

Well my advice would be to tell your GP that you need to reduce your dose, pointless eating to counteract your meds (as, indeed, I was too for a while). My GP was very happy for me to do just that and pleased that I'd taken my responsibilites (to myself) more seriously. The plus for me is that my GP is the diabetes "lead" a multi-GP surgery so is probably more knowledgeable than some.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.