Take medication or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just told by my GP today I have overactive thyroid. Actually rang me to come in so I can start on carbimazol today. I have an ultrasound scan tomorrow. I don't want to go on medication, are there many risks if I don't take it?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There are many risks if you don't take it including thyroid storm and heart attacks.  Please see other postings on this board about adding L-carnitine to your medications.  This is an amino acid that is naturally found in the body that gets depleted from your muscles with hyperthyroidism.  Your doctor will not know about this or endorse it but if you take it, you will be able to decrease your medication faster.  Found in health food stores.

• Posted

Hello Deb,  although an overactive thyroid is a treatable condition, the consequences of going without medication can be very serious. I took Carbimazole for 18 months and I am very glad I did. I also took Propanolol which slowed my rapid and irregular pulse which was a great help. Even so, I now have an abnormal pumping action of the heart for which I take medication. My thyroid is now back to normal and I am feeling well again. It may take a while to get the right dose for you, stick with it and you will come through. I wish you all the best and, yes, please, do take your medication. This is not a condition to try to manage yourself but you will be fine after treatment.

All the best,

Bess

• Posted

Thanks Linda I will be shopping for that definately. Bess my doctor told me I would be taking medication the rest of my life, not sure why as I havnt even had my scan yet, I guess I will take the medication until I see him after scan, thanks for your help 
    • Posted

I was able to lower my medication to a very low dose and my antibodies are gone after I took the L-Carnitine.  Some people go into remission and are able to be off meds for a while or on a very very low dose.

• Posted

Thanks Linda, I was just wondering if L-carnitine is tablet form or liquid! I do hope I can find it here in Australia. 
  • Posted

Yes you must take it.  You will become extremely ill without it.  See the other replies to your post as they spell out what will happen if you do not take carbimazole.

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I can only echo what everyone else has said.......yes, please start taking your medication.  Carbimazole does take a while to work - up to four weeks to really start feeling the effects - but, even if you are not feeling too bad at the moment, the symptoms of an overactive thyroid will only get worse untreated.  I started on Carbimazole last September - on a 40mg dose - but am now down to 5mg and hoping to come off by the time my first "anniversary" comes around!  I have started taking L-carnitine as well since I have reduced my dose and am starting to feel much more like my old self.  There are things you can do to help yourself and a wealth of advice from the lovely people on this forum but you need to get your thryoid under control and, unfortunately, that means starting with regular medication.

• Posted

From the Health Food store I get it in capsules.  I have also taken the prescription form known as Carnitor when I could not get it at health food stores and that was in liquid form.  Also prescription form had tablets but they were only 300 mg whereas the prescribed form at 1,000 mg was liquid.  I prefer the capsules I get from Health Food stores.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.