Taking Celexa for Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few days ago I had been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and was perscribed citalopram (celexa). After taking the drug for two days, I've been feeling more anxious than usual and overly hyper. Can someone explain to me if that's a normal side effect of celexa? My doctor explained to me that if I become overly energentic, that's an indication I may be bipolar. And, I do show a few symptoms of bipolar disorder. What does this mean?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Evan, this could be a side effect you are experiencing as you have to bare in mind your body has to get used to it, however monitor this by maybe keeping a log in a diary about how you a feeling, this way you can really get an idea and see on paper your emotions on day to day basis. I take propranolol as this for me has no side effects and purely tackles my anxiousness which I'm happy with. Having a follow up appointment is crucial but remember if you are not happy don't just settle to be put on any medication, you never know you may need something different

Good luck, Jen x

• Posted

My Dr recently changed me from Zoloft to celexa and I felt the same way. I took it for 2 weeks and switched back to the Zoloft. I found that I would get aggeverated very easily and be almost hateful when I talked and that is totally not me. I didn't like feeling like I couldn't control my anger so switching back was a no brainer for me. The max dosage on Zoloft is usually 200 mg but as long as ur under a drs care and tolerate the medicine well u can actually go up to 300mg. When I switched back my Dr increased me to 250mg. I already feel back to normal and my anger is not an issue anymore. Also celexa at a higher dose than 60mg has been known to cause heart irrigularities and some can be irrversable. Just a lil bit if info. Hope it helps. I have tried almost all the ssri classified meds so I'm pretty familiar with them and I'm also a nurse/senior pharmacy tech and I get ALOT of feedback from my patients.
    • Posted

So, becoming manic was normal? I'm currently a high school student and while in school I was very hyper and anxious. It was a little embarrassing.
    • Posted

There is no right or wrong answer to your question, I could take that medication myself and I may have a completely different side effect, become over hyper is not abnormal and others that I have spoken to has happened to them too, so to rest your mind, yes this can and does happen to people
    • Posted

I wouldn't even classify mine as manic. Mine was just a sudden attitude change. I would go from happy to bitch in 2 seconds. And I knew that wasn't me and so I stuck it out a few more days just to c if it improved and it didn't for me it got worse. I would just flip into hateful mode just like flipping a switch. It felt awful for me cause after it passed I felt horrible for losing my temper.

• Posted

how much citalopram  , they have just dropped the max dose to 30mg not 40mg for some reason, 
    • Posted

I'm only on 20 mg. Also, I'm so anxious and nauseous I can't sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.