Taking mirtazapine 30mg every 4 days

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone take mirtazapine with gaps between doses? I know cpn is gonna give me hell but I feel the best I have for months with only taking mirt every 4 days. I'm on venlafaxine too which I take every day. Unfortunately mirt completely numbs me but at least I don't get the hopeless despair now I just get nothing, no feelings, emotions or thoughts, so that is why I don't take every day as would like to feel vaguely human occasionally (which I start to when it is running out). Anyone doing similar?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes.

I started making the time between doses longer and cutting my 15mg pills in halves and quarters. however my sleep quality has gone back to poor so I feel I am no better.

• Posted

Thanks bob. I slept poorly last night, dream was like a film though so interesting night. Have you gone back to taking it regularly?
    • Posted

I have got down to lowest dose but I still,have the most awful dreams every night and sleep is very disturbed.  Do you think discontinuing this med would take bad dreams away, or make them worse
    • Posted

I've only just restarted (30mg every 4 days not drs idea! Supposed to be daily) mirtazapine after going cold turkey about a month ago, forced to restart by psych dr otherwise it's anti psychotics which funnily enough I'm not that keen to take! didn't have dreams without it of note but then I didn't have any sleep either.

• Posted

I am also in that band of people on mirtaz, but want to be off it, and psych said we might try antipsychotics.  I am not keen about that, wonder if anyone has any experiences of using them for cases where there is no psychosis?  Everything i have read says dont go near them!
    • Posted

Don't go on anti psychotics if you can help it. I'm on 100mg of quetiapine and I didn't realise what it was until it was too late. They are as difficult to come off as mirt and with bad rebound insomnia.

• Posted

Been on mirtazapine now for 2 weeks sleep is much better my gp did mention weird dreams. Haven't had any bad ones but really vivid dreams usually quite pleasant ones.

• Posted

I have appt with psych next week when i have to decide whether to augment with risperidone. Ike you, i am reluctant to take this route but i am still depressed and anxious and feel i cant gomon this way.   Surely this isnt the only way forward? Didntheynput you on them for psychosis?
    • Posted

if my mirtaz isnt doing its thing do you think the only way i can go is anti psychotic route?  I wonder how it would be tomtake nothing, slowly titrating down off mirtaz which I think is causing me to be lethargic, then trying to get off diazepam slowly as rhat is slowing me down.  I am scared the old symptoms will come back of agitation and anxiety.
    • Posted

Are you on another anti depressant with the mirt. I take venlafaxine too. Ask psych dr about adding another AD. About coming off the mirt completely, I did this about a month ago and initially felt fantastic for a couple of days (husband even noticed and he doesn't know I'm ill!)but then the depression, anxiety, trances and terrible thoughts came back. When I restarted noticed that mirt is just anaesthetic really - numbs me, stops my brain from thinking but stops me feeling anything too so that is why I'm only taking every 4 days, although after yesterday (awful day brain didn't give me a break) I might alter and have 3 day gaps.

• Posted

Hi Rachel yes I'm on citalopram also but only for 2 weeks to be replaced by mirtazapine only. I'm sleeping great now on 15mg nightly. But I'm worried about coming off.

I've noticed since lowering citalopram my aches and pains have virtually gone I've suffered for years with backache bad aching legs and shoulder pain don't know if this is just coincidence but it is a mentioned side effect of citalopram anyone else had this?

• Posted

Hi ann No depression since I was 15 yrs old - 40 yrs ago been on all the old ones with horrendous side effects, proactive which gave me seizures, citalopram for 5 yrs now mirtazapine to ease menopausal symptoms as well as treat my depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.