taking PTU

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been taking PTU for about 6 weeks because of a overactive thyroid gland and i had to give blood to check for my liver and my thyroid test.I got a phone call the day after saying i have to have another blood test in 2 weeks because my liver function was slightly high.So went today for some more bloods taken to check my liver again as this ever happened to anyone else.I can phone up on Thursday for my results xx.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Very common.  Seems to happen to people who are put on high doses of antithyroid meds.  There has been literature that suggests doses do not have to be this high to be effective.  In my case, I was on Methimazole (I live in Canada) and when I added the supplement Acetyl-L-Carnitine to my meds, I was able to lower my medication dosage a lot.  Also added vitamin D supplements because most thyroid patients are deficient in both carnitine and vitamin D.
  • Posted

Hi Julie, the ptu was having an affect on my white blood cell count.  It kinda worried me that it can affect the liver
  • Posted

Julie, I had previously been on Carbimazole and it made me really ill.  I just didn't feel there were many options so made the decision to have a tt
  • Posted

hi Julie,   the liver performs about 400 functions in the body.  It needs vitamins and minerals to do this.   Onions, garlic,  coffee  ( reduces fat deposits in the liver) leafy greens,  some vitamin B complex tablets, salmon, chicken, eggs, milk  - and fortified cereal if you're vegetarian as B12 is only found in animal sources - are all important to support the liver.   You can support your body generally and your thyroid and immune system with nutri supplements available online that contain all the above, if you search for them.  Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium and copper are all vital to support an over active thryoid - again, supplements that contain these are out there.  Our bodies often respond to meds by putting something else out of synch, so it makes sense as far as Im concerned to slowly build up a healthy body naturally. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up