Taking tablets on Blood Test days

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me any advice please. I usually take my 100mg levothyroxine tablet at 7am.  I'm due a blood test and usually this is taken in the morning. Does when I take my tablet effect the test?  If I have a blood test at 8am will I be full of the levothyroxine and so creat a false reading?  Should I take the tablet or delay it until after the test?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if I were you I'd call my doctor and ask.. plus i have a question for you how do you feel on that medicine im New to all this and I'm having anxiety attacks on 125 levothyroxine they just lowered it to 100 today I will start that tomorrow?

• Posted

I feel OK. I started on 25mg for two weeks, then moved onto 50mg, 6 months later to 75mg and I've been on 100mg for 12 weeks - this will be my first blood test since being on the higher dose. I FEEL fine.. but the weight I have put on is unbelievable. I think I am one of those people that put weight ON with Levothyroxine so I'm going to see if I can lower my dose if my blood results allows for it.

• Posted

I am on 175mg levothyroxine and I'm told not to take my tablets just before my blood test if that's any help

• Posted

Humm interesting, my doctor told me take to my levo before my test.. the same time I do every morning and not to change anything.  Being we have different answers for you, I would say that it depends on what your doctor wants.
    • Posted

She said to take it.. but I just worried that I would be full of it and it wold distort my results. I think I will take it and see what my results are.  Thank you for your answer.
    • Posted

No.. I don't think it matters.. only because it takes so long to even buil the levo up in our systems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.