Tapering after 15 yrs of 40mg day! So far flu like fatigued.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Now down to 20 mg every other day. Hope it gets better soon

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had the exact flu like symptoms going up from 20 to 40. I hope it soon passes for you xxxx

• Posted

Sharon from what I've been reading lately, you're setting yourself up badly with such a quick taper, especially after being on Citalopram for so long. Also, taking a tablet once every other day is not advised until the very end of tapering, as your system is so used to taking the Cit daily that a day without is a shock to the system.

Some advise that you should taper off at a 10% reduction each time, and stay on that dose for a couple of months at least; very gradually in other words.

• Posted

Hi Sharon

How have you been reducing from 40mg to 20mg? How long has this taken you?

Sam

• Posted

Sharon, I too used Celexa (Citalpram) at 40mg/daily for over 15 years. I am in my 50's and am tired of the "better living through chemistry" approach to life. Last summer my Doc and I came up with a plan to discintinue my use of Celexa. It important factor was to not use a certian type of time lrelease in the process. I went form 40 to 35 to 30 to 25 and so on. I am now Celexa free and have been for a month. The fatigue was and still is a factor at the moment. As I was told, it is removing the crutch my brain had in my seritonin levels that is most likley behind this feeling. Doing a very healthy diet and exercise (even though I sometimes want to do the couch potato thing) and it seems to be ok. I do have less restful sleeps and have had some wild dreams when I doo sleep and memories that I had not thought about in decades are coming back.Good luck and hope you are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.