Tapering Down Quickly

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I don't usually post on any forum but I am going through what many of you are going through. I could use a little support and would like to give some as well if I can. I have been on Mirtazapine 30mg for 8 months and as a result have gained more than 40 lbs. I've had enough. The weight gain has caused me more problems than the depression did. So about 3 weeks ago I cut myself down to 15mg mirtazapine per day. As a result I have suffered some anxiety (manageable), moderate to severe body aches (which is complicated by the fact that I already suffer from severe chronic pain due to 8 bulging discs in my spine that I take 6 medications in an effort to control including 2 narcotic pain medications), the first week I had insomnia but now I find myself sleeping almost around the clock which I find to be a Godsend (it beats the heck out of suffering constantly). On Friday I plan to stop taking Mertazapine altogether. Cold Turkey. If you would like I will let you know how I'm making out and I would very much like to know how you've made out.

Thank you in advance for your reply and I wish you all great success in your endeavor to stop taking this horrible medication.

P.S. Please be very careful as stopping this medication too abruptly can cause life threatening effects. If you begin to feel too badly either physically or mentally please, please, please call your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital for help. Nobody wants you to be a dead hero!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I cant help re the stopping mitraz but would like ur advice on starting it did u take it for dep an anxiety
    • Posted

Hello Weenett.

In answer to your question...yes I did start taking it for depression and anxiety. I was actully amazed at how well it worked and aside from the fact that it made me gain 40 lbs. over a period of 8 months the side effects were minimal and it really did work quite well for the depression and anxiety. Before you decide to take it though I would highly recomend that you read the posts in this forum with regard to quitting Mertazapine.

I wish you the best of luck Weenett!

Kindest Regards

• Posted

I wish you well and hope you are successful with your downward titration of the Mirtazapine. I would suggest a slower taper, but everyone is different and some people can go cold turkey just fine. I've been tapering off of 45 mg for just about 4 months, very systematically and have not had side effects.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your well wishes Karin. I wish I could take the time to taper down slowly but the weight has been piling on so quickly I have no clothes that fit me anymore...lol so it's now or never. I do however wish you well. I have no doubt whatsoever that we'll both be fine!

Take care Karin. It was nice talking with you.

• Posted

Hello.  Life threatening effects, could you please explain.  I am a week off and suffering massive nauseau, brain fog, insomnia but nothing pertaining to life threating.  Please advise , thank you!
    • Posted

Hi Connie

What I mean by life threatening is if you become so depressed that you begin to feel suicidal. Another thing that is very rare would be if you were to fall into a depressive psychosis. Again this is an extremely rare event but just in case it is highly advisable that you have a support system such as family and friends around you during your period of withdrawal. At least have someone keep in touch with you regularly by phone

And once again...don't take ANY chances! If you really do start to feel like your going over the deep end please CALL YOUR DOCTOR or go to the nearest hospital.

I wish you all the best Connie and I have absolute faith that you will come through this and feel so much better.

• Posted

Ok thanks. Right now I have severe itching on my hands and wrists that is driving me insane. No more mirt histamine benefits... Normal?
    • Posted

a simple over the counter anti histamine for 3-4 weeks will help with the itching - yyes Mirt has a hige histamine block, once whipped away the little blighters come flooding in.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks 9 days cold turkey off 15 I had no choice it was making me so sick,like involuntary withdrawal so after a week of that I tossed it. Not recommended but I saw no point in putting chemical in my body that was being rejected. For those who it works, great! I have had some good time on mirt but more bad. Each one different chemestry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.