Tapering off Celexa and having horrible symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I have been on Celexa 20mg for one year. Recently, my doctor and I decided it was time to come off of the medication.

He advised me to taper in the following manner: Take a dose and then skip a day (he had me do this for 3 weeks). Now he has me taking a dose and skipping 2 days. I have been doing this for 2 weeks and am struggling.

I wound up in the ER yesterday as my heart will beat normally and then have 2 quick beats close together. That is just one of the issues I am experiencing. My body shakes, my head feels strange, etc.

The ER doctor did an ekg, chest x-ray and drew blood and, thankfully, the results were all good. However, I can still feel when my heart does that quick beat thing.

He thinks that the way my gp is tapering me off of Celexa may be too harsh and my body is "freaking" out (for lack of a better term).

So, my question is two-fold:

1) Could the taper be too harsh?

2) Could these symptoms that I am experiencing be from the taper?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely...you should fire your doctor..that skipping day Medication is a no no.i don't know where they get that recipe from..reach out to katecogs she has lots of experience with tapering. Take care

• Posted

Why did you decide it was time to come off celexa?
    • Posted

I decided to come off of Celexa, because we saw no major improvement in my anxiety. Everything seemed to stay status quo.
    • Posted

Iam no doctor but you should of upped your dose that may have helped your status quo..
    • Posted

That is very possible. My doctor doesn't really like to prescribe medications unless he feels they are absolutely needed. I like that approach, but there are times that a medication would be beneficial to some people.

I just hate the way I am feeling right now. Still shaky and heart is still doing that little quick beat thing. It doesn't cause any pain, it's just annoying. I am thinking that the way he has me tapering is causing this sad

• Posted

Your going to probably have to go back your daily dose so that your body can stabilize again ..so that yucky feeling you are feeling subside.than you can properly withdraw again properly.once you stabilize again..
    • Posted

I tend to agree with you. Even the emergency room doc yesterday said to quit going 2 days between doses. It's so discouraging, because I don't know the proper way to taper.

• Posted

Reach out to katecogs..type her name on the top..she has successfully taper off this Medication properly..she has a good recipe...
    • Posted

lois.....Thank you! I just sent her a private message. I hope that she sees it.
    • Posted

Your very welcome ..she will help she is very knowledgeable...and she cares about how your feeling...
  • Posted

Taper is too harsh and you're got withdrawal - absolutely.  I spent a whole year withdrawing from 20mg and doing it that way had no withdrawal symptoms at all.

If you skip a dose you're depriving your brain of the meds instead of doing it daily and supplying it with a gradual decline meds.  It will notice the absence of meds - badly too.

If you come off too quick or taper down by too big a jump then you'll end up back on the meds for sure.

Buy a pill cutter / crusher.  I cut my 20mg into 4 making each one 5mg.  I then reduced by 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 and stayed on each reduction for a good 2 months and took them every day - no missed days.   I had to crush the last few doses as they'll be too small.  This took me a year - there really is no hurry to come off.

I came off once before this and had withdrawal effects even though I spent 6 months that time.  Second time around I did it much slower.

• Posted

Ah - just seen you've private messaged me too biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.