Tapering off Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Need some advice.  I have been tapering off cit for around 8  weeks now taking the no rush approach.  I was afraid to stop because I remember getting on them was total hell.  I felt they gave be blurry vision all the while I was on them so decided to stop.  I reduced from 10mg to 8mg for 2 weeks and then from 8mg to 5mg for 2 weeks. It was at this point my sight rectified itself and my mood actually started to lift.  They never actually every lifted my mood but did suppress some negative thinking.  

I have reduced from 5mg to 2.5mg for 10 days and until now, apart from some headaches I can say that I haven't had any withdrawal side effects until 3 days ago.  I just feel agitated most of the day, tired and negative thinking has come flooding back.  I have been coping but am now afraid to totally stop.  Do you think this is withdrawal or my anxiety that I had before coming back, I need to know.  I may drop to 1mg before I completely stop.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Alex

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Years ago when I weaned off I had no side effects but I did it so slowly and I think I even got to were I took it every other day before I just stopped.I wish I would have wrote down how I did it because I had no withdrawal.
  • Posted

Agitation is quite common when you come off the meds.  I spent a year coming off these meds, and thought if at any time I started feeling anxiety looming up, I could easily go back to the previous dose and wait before testing the waters again.

I had agitation too when I stopped - I felt irritated with everyone and everything.  SSRI meds work by hanging onto our serotonin (our happy hormone) before its reabsorped into the brain, making us feel happier, calmer etc., so when you reduce the meds its not going to hang to as much as it did before, so instead of feeling calm, agitation can creep in.

Hello 5-HTP.  Since being off Citalopram I've started taking a natural SSRI called 5-HTP and l-tyrosine (both are needed) which are bought over the counter at many shops.  These can be started / stopped with no build up or withdrawal (like Citalopram) and there are no side effects (though some people may be a little sensitive to them, but nothing like Citalopram).  They work within a couple of weeks too.  I've taken these before and have been on them a couple of months now and am feeling great still.  You must not take these with Citalopram though - you must be off them before starting.

I find taking these no problem at all - no nasty side effects, and I'd recommend them for anyone coming off meds.  They may help you ease back into life again and you could stop them later on with no having to withdraw.

K x

• Posted

Well done for doing it. It sounds as if you are on the liquid form ? I used that to taper off but I did it all over 3.5 years!

I also had blurred vision and other side effects.

I have been off it for 5 weeks now and am finding it hard! The anxiety is pretty bad but I am dealing with it by breathing and visualisation techniques.

My herbalist told me to get Amino 1,500 Precision

• Posted

Maybe go back to 5mg for a while longer since you are no rush or try the saint johns wort to naturally suppliment while reducing . I mean it could be maybe your just have an bad week like you most likely would every once in awhile during the full dose of med

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.