Tapering off Citalopram and struggling

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello to all.

Here's my story. I was on Citalopram 20mg for 13 months and while it did help in certain areas, it didn't seem to be of enough benefit to remain on the medication. So, my doctor and I decided to do a taper in an effort to get completely off.

I think the taper was too harsh as he had me drop straight from 20mg to 10mg. I have been on 10mg for 10 weeks now and am struggling.

Over the past few weeks, the body shakes have gotten terrible and they last 24/7. My head feels very strange. I feel nauseated and my heart feels like it's out of rhythm.

My doctor feels that we should bite the bullet and jump back up to 20mg.

This leads me to a couple of questions:

1) Why would my symptoms have gotten so much worse over the past 3 weeks. Wouldn't you think that if I was going to have all of these symptoms that they would have appeared earlier in the taper?

2) Could the symptoms be not related to the taper, but moreso the anxiety coming back with a vengeance?

3) Is it smart to jump right back up from 10mg to 20mg?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Most of the times people do have withdrawals taper in the early ...but also alot of people have delay withdrawal...what you are having could be a combination of the two..but more than likely is withdrawal..I personally think it would be smart to go to 15... 20 just seems so drastic after been on 10 for a while...it's up to you and your doctor..but doctor's don't have a clue..hope you resolve this..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.