Tapering off citalopram (feel weird)

Posted , 7 users are following.

so as the title explains im tapering off citalopram, ive went from 10mg to 7.5 to 5 within a few month. i only recently dropped to 5 and although i dont have a lot of side affects but i do feel very weird its hard to explain if i could explain it would be someone that was losing there mind slowly! it feels as if im losing touch with reality, everything just feels unreal in a sense, could i just put this down as temporary side affects of my brain getting used to not having the citalopram anymore? need some reassurence please!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

anyone else had this?

• Posted

Hi there,

Ive very recently come off Cit after tapering down from 20mg to 5mg over a couple off months. unfortunately cit didnt work well for me and made my symptoms worse. I am now completely off it and understand some of the side effects you're experiencing. I feel very anxious, depressed and super doubtful with horrible anxious thoughts.

I have been off them for three weeks, but believe this may be a withdrawel/ discontinuation side effect possibly? our bodies have been so used to the med and i think thats its way of coping without it. I hope you start to feel better soon and wishing you all the best - this will pass. 😃

• Posted

Mental how you posted this as you've just beat me to it!

I'm trying to taper off as feel ready to handle life again but wow I didn't expect to feel like this.

Dropped from 10 to 5mg a day over the course of two months and the last week has been really weird!

Lots of feelings of depression and strange random thoughts that I've been uncomfortable with which builds the anxiety. I get a lot of physical symptoms with my anxiety like jaw ache, facial numbing and weird heart palpitations etc.. These pretty much stopped whilst on the 10mg but are slowly starting to creep back in... Also feeling constantly tired!

I'm determined to succeed in coming off the meds but having second thoughts due to these feelings coming back.

It's either the return of the symptoms or withdrawal effect.

Hoping it to be a blip as it's been two weeks since reducing. If no better in another week will think about going back on 10mg for a while longer and try again at a later date!

Were here for each other though so don't worry! Hopefully we can help each other through! 😃

• Posted

Maybe taper off slower. Going from 10-5 is a big decrease. When we reach lower dosages, it is known that we have to go slower. Decrease and stay there til you settle again then taper farther. Allow your mind time to settle on each dosage. I'm currently tapering from 20-10. Jumped from 20-15 and now at 12.5mg. I too dread lower dosages, but looking to recover before completely tapering off. Maybe buy a pill cutter and taper in intervals of 2.5mg. Its recommended to taper 10% at a time.

• Posted

The worse symptons of withdrawal for me has been the clogged up feeling behind the .nose and into the ears. really horrible..loads of thick mucus..anyone else have this...you begin to wonder if it is indeed withdrawal symptoms or a problem with adenoids or throat blockage

• Posted

Yes that can be a sign if withdrawal. A few months tapering from 10mg is too quick - that's why you feel weird. Might be best for you to go back to 7.5mg and wait there until you feel better, before trying again. Your brain is obviously missing the medication.

I spent a year withdrawing and had no effects at all. Don't ever underestimate how slow you must go - it certainly pays to take your time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.