Tapering off Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've been on here a few times talking to people,but my story is a little different.   I was put on 45mg of Mirt about 7-8yrs ago for IBS,I know don't make sense to me now either. Anyway after about 3yrs I came off it without any problem,then I was taken in Hostpital for a life threatening desease.         ( Ephesema ) When I came home I was very low so GP put me back on 45mg of Mirt again.  Now due to the fact that I'm on a lot of meds,I'd like to come off it again,well I've got down to 15mg no problem,but going lower is killing my Stomack ,the pain is unbearable at times.   Now I doubt anyone out there has been put on Mirt for the same reason,but have any of you got any suggestions on vitamins or anything that might help. I would be grateful of any ideas.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i Norma sorry to hear of your plight i too am having stomach pains on mirt i have coeliacs among other things. I was miss diagnosed for years with IBS until i had private blood testing. Anyway i found the only thing that calmed my stomach and stopped nasty spasms was colofac have you tried this? Its only available on prescription. My carer swears by it she suffered terribly with ibs until she went on it. Its not got any nasty side effects that i am aware of. Hope i have been of some help. Carole.
    • Posted

Thank you Carole, that's one thing I haven't tried I'll ask my GP see what he says.  As for breaking Mirt in half I don't know as that would make any difference as they have a breaking Mark on them. But I won't dismiss it I'll ask my Pharmasist. Thanks for your help.
  • Posted

Don't know if it's relevant to your case, but pharmacist told me that breaking mirtazapine tablets in half can cause stomach upsets because they are film coated to protect the stomach. I take Buscopan for IBS, I find that helps.
    • Posted

Thats so true. When i first started mirt my GP gave me 30mg tablets i dare not take that dose so broke them in half. After a few days i started being sick in a morning and had very bad nausea. Symptoms like early pregnancy i would imagine. Anyway had phone call from doc and he changed me to 15mg and the sickness and nausea slowly stopped. So there is a reason why these tablets are enteric coated.
    • Posted

Sorry Pixie Tried Buscupan does nothing for me.  But my Gastrologist tells me a 10mg Buscupan only gives you 2mg the rest just resolves away,he offered me Buscupan injections but I have a heart problem and they could give me palpatations so I rejected it.  But thanks for your time.
  • Posted

Colpamin (peppermint oil capsules) helped my IBS pain loads. But when I went on mirtazapine I no longer had to take it. If I eventually come off mirtazapine then I will probably go back on the peppermint oil. You have to take the special capsules that are designed not to disolve in the stomach though as the peppermint oil needs to get right into your intestine to work.
    • Posted

Sorry it's colpERmin. smile
    • Posted

Hi evergreen, once again tried Colpermin to no avail. Also tried Peppermint tea and ginger tea.   My IBS is quite severe I've even had Tramadol I'm just at a loss.  But also thank you for your time.
  • Posted

Hi Norma

2x20 mg Omniprazole will put a coating in the lining of your stomach -taken at breakfast.  Hope things work out for you.  Best wishes Nessie

• Posted

Thank you Ness,I'll ask GP about it.  I take lanzoprazole I would have thought that would help.  Anyway how are you nowadays,have you stopped the Palpatations yet ?
    • Posted

Omniprazole and lanzoprazole have a similar effect, protecting the stomach. I was given them after I'd had serious emergency surgery and was just starting to eat again.
    • Posted

I was given Lanzoprazole because I take Asprin after a heart attack. I was going to stop taking it but somone on another forum told me not to it would cause me a lot of trouble but she never said why.
    • Posted

Taking Lanzoprazole makes sense because Aspirin can irritate the stomach.
  • Posted

This is really interesting topic for me, have been on 30 mg mirt for 5 Years  now and am planning to stop it but don't know how to go about it
    • Posted

Hi Charles, The first thing I would say to you is to see your GP about coming off them. But having said that GP don't know a lot about Mirt. In my oppinion ( and I've spoke to a lot off people on here who are now off them) you really do have to take it really slowly,especially since you've been on them for 5yrs. Most people have a few problems reducing but also some people sail through, because as you know all our bodies don't work the same.  But they are a really hard drug to come off. Another thing you can do is Google CITA PROTACOL and they give brilliant help.           Take care and let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.